Official GIGABYTE Forum

GTX 980 ti steadily heating while idle

ashaam

GTX 980 ti steadily heating while idle
« on: November 18, 2015, 01:08:51 pm »
Dear community and forum users,
yesterday while checking my corsair link interface after about 10 minutes since powering up the PC, I noticed the GPU fans were spinning, which they only do after the card reaches 60° while under heavy stress. Thing is, I had been doing nothing up to that point - in fact it turns out that the card is now constantly (and very rapidly) heating while the pc is on as if it's very actively working (when it shouldn't), and I am trying to find the reason, be it hardware or software related.
What would be your suggestions to identify the issue? I have tried rolling back the drivers already, as well as performing some basic hardware and software cleaning procedures, but the problems persists. The case is well ventilated, and until 3-4 days ago the GPU would idle at around 30°.
Thank you everyone for your considerations and potential answers, I'll be glad to provide any info I'll be requested.
Jacopo
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 01:16:01 pm by ashaam »

ashaam

Re: GTX 980 ti steadily heating while idle
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 02:38:06 pm »
SOLVED!
it turns out I had forgotten to put the "power management" setting in the NVIDIA Control Panel back to "Adaptive".
Thanks everyone who has read or may read this topic, in the end the only issue was my stupidity :P
Jacopo