GA-MA790X-DS4 with 2 gig OCZ Ram
« on: April 03, 2010, 01:52:22 am »
Hi, Im looking for help getting some RAM to work. Heres my system:

GA-MA790-DS4
AM2 9500 Agena
Current RAM- OCZ OCZ2N10662GK 2x1 gig sticks
Trying to install OCZ OCZ2P10664GK 2x2 gig sticks
Windows Vista 64 Home premium

I used the self detect when puting the system together and it has worked fine. When I installed the new ram it wouldnt boot past the initial windows icon. After setting the timings to match 5-5-5-18 I couldnt get it to boot at all. Will these sticks even work? Please let me know if anyone has tried this ram with success.

Thanks

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-MA790X-DS4 with 2 gig OCZ Ram
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 08:07:07 am »
Hi,

if I understand you correctly you already have 2 gig of RAM on board and you now want to add another 4 gig giving a total of 6 gig.

Checking out the QVL memory for your mobo ( check here: http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/FileList/MemorySupport/motherboard_memory_ga-ma790x-ds4.pdf ) it states: Note: Due to AMD AM2+ CPU limitation, DDR2 1066 is only supported by 1 dimm per channel. you are now trying to run 2 dimms of 1066 Mhz in both channels, hence the problem. You will need to run your RAM at 800Mhz not at the rated 1066 Mhz.

I would recommend re-setting BIOS to optimised defaults and trying to boot again letting BIOS handle the memory configuration.

hope this helps

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Shiny

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 12:14:31 am »
Thanks absic115 for the reply. Im replacing the 2x1 gig sticks with 2x2 gig sticks. So I need to run the RAM at 800MHz. Im wondering If I should just stay with eth 2 gig of RAM. I am using the computer to record audio and thought having the extra memory would help make sure I dont have drop out issues.

Thanks again

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 07:12:17 am »
Hi,

6 gig of RAM running at 800 Mhz is going to better than running 2 gig at 1066 Mhz. and the difference in speed is not really that noticeable.

What kind of audio are you recording?

The reason that I ask is that drop-outs in recording are normally caused by other factors too and it was the main reason I got into building computers, as I had a lot of grief  with PC's when first trying to set-up a home recording studio.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Shiny

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 01:45:10 am »
Im recording through a Presonus firewire setup into SONAR. I've worked through all the latency issues and have ASIO drivers running smoothly with no real problems right now. I do have the ability to record 10 channels analog simutainiously although I dont use more than 2 at a time right now. If I get the chance to record a full band though I would rather have things set up to avoid possible issues. I had to get a new power supply so I thought Id upgrade the RAM as well.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 07:00:46 am »
Hi,

The lower speed of the RAM, in this case, won't cause you any issues. However having the extra RAM on-board will allow you to use more of the Plug-ins and Virtual synths within Sonar and will really help when you come to do your mixing if you need to use a lot of effects.

I am using a Delta 1010 and Cubase 5 and have done a lot of live multi-track recordings and the only real problem I had was when I set the audio buffer size too small when trying to improve latency.

Good luck and if you run into any recording snags, feel free to e-mail me at my Hotmail account

ATB