Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 restart loop - single bios just fans work (no post)

Defero

Hi,

so i bought a whole new machine and i'm having a problem with my motherboard (i think). When i finally managed to run the machine, it went into a restart loop. Every 1-2 seconds, it restarts, when it's in dual bios.
If i switch the machine to single bios, the machine "runs", but only fans start (keyboard lights do not turn on), so it appears that nothing else works but the fans.

If i plug in the secondary power supply (the small one above the processor) in the motherboard, it doesn't start at all.

Hope you guys can help, here is the full specs of the comp:

Corsair Obsidian Series 750D mit Sichtfenster Big Tower ohne Netzteil schwarz

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 Intel Z170 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX Retail

Intel i7 6700k

6144MB Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti Windforce 3x Gaming Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 2xDVI / 1xHDMI 2.0 / 3xDisplayPort (Retail)

32GB (4x 8192MB) G.Skill RipJaws 4 rot DDR4-2133 DIMM CL15-15-15-35 Quad Kit

850 Watt be quiet! Power Zone Modular 80+ Bronze

be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Tower Kühler

500GB Samsung 850 Evo 2.5" (6.4cm) SATA 6Gb/s TLC Toggle (MZ-75E500B/EU)  - 2x

2000GB WD Red WD20EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

autotech

Just to clarify something when you say secondary power supply above cpu do you mean the 8 pin cpu power connector?   That has to be plugged in.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

Defero

Just to clarify something when you say secondary power supply above cpu do you mean the 8 pin cpu power connector?   That has to be plugged in.

Yes, the 8 pin one

berte

can you share bios debug code numbers?

Defero

They never turned on. In any case

berte

I came across before this issue.

did you try with 1 memory slot (such as only slot 4) ?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 11:25:51 am by berte »

Defero

I came across before this issue.

did you try with 1 memory slot (such as only slot 4) ?

I tried with only one memory slot (with slot 4 yes). But i did not switch the ram-s to test if one of those is at fault.
Do you think i might be that "lucky"?

I'm not sure if it's important, but again if i have only ATX plugged in, the board sort of reacts to stuff (fans spin, and it resets with dual bios. Or single bios fans just spin, nothing else.
But if a plug in also the ATX_12V_2X4, then the board just doesn't react anymore. The power button glows, but that's about it.
It sounds line the Power supply wants to turn on, but is shut down right away.

berte

if there is a possible to try another psu i would be more helpful for diagnostic, I guess.

Defero

if there is a possible to try another psu i would be more helpful for diagnostic, I guess.

I did test things as much as i could. But i dont have enough equipment to fully eliminate every other component that would resault in a definitive answer saying that the motherboard is faulty.

I was hoping that i was missing something obvious, like a big "start" button.

So i need to try everything else, then send the moba back if i double checked everything?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 01:00:43 pm by Defero »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Try it outside of the case on the box it came in. You could be shorting out on some thing.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

My Gaming 7 rig went into the restart loop you describe after opening the overclocking utility (without changing a damn thing).    I fixed it by using the clear CMOS button on the motherboard and then loading all default settings in BIOS.   I've uninstalled all Gigabyte utilities (drivers only).

I'm running the latest F6f Bios.

Hi,

so i bought a whole new machine and i'm having a problem with my motherboard (i think). When i finally managed to run the machine, it went into a restart loop. Every 1-2 seconds, it restarts, when it's in dual bios.
If i switch the machine to single bios, the machine "runs", but only fans start (keyboard lights do not turn on), so it appears that nothing else works but the fans.

Risuli

I am also looking for some advice with regard to my GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 board.  Built a new system three weeks ago (all to spec, no OC'ing) and all was fine.  Yesterday while playing a game I got a hard crash BSOD with "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE ERROR" and had to power the cpu off.  Board now just goes into a restart loop and never completes POST.  Diagnostic codes vary on restart but are generally C2, C3, C4, C5 (which in the manual are listed as "Reserved", though I have seen a code 19 and a 3E) before it restarts.  I get no video (from my card or on-board) and cannot get to BIOS.  I have followed the trouble shooting procedure, swapped video card & power supply, tried running with one memory stick (and swapping the sticks) but no joy.  Also tried CMOS reset and removing the battery to get back to defaults.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Otherwise, anyone have experience with Gigabyte's RMA process?

Specs: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (I believe the bios was f6) ;
Intel i7-6700K
G.Skill TridentZ 16 GB DDR4 3400
Samsung 850 500GB SATA III SSD
Western Digital 3 TB Green HD
EVGA GTX 980 Ti 6GB SC Gaming
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 09:09:21 pm by Risuli »

qryder

Hey Risuli,

I am having word for word the same problem you are.

Please tell me you figured out what it was?

After 6 months I imagine you had to replace something that finally fixed it?

I get a similar problem after I use WakeOnLAN. My machine powers down for a few seconds after a Windows shutdown, then comes back on!

I can stop the loop by turning the mains off as soon as it powers down, and it'll stay fine until I've used WOL again.

Seems like a bug with the NIC or BIOS. Everything else checks out fine, and using all default power settings

Please help!