Official GIGABYTE Forum

USB 3.0 problem with GA-Z68X-UD7-B3

USB 3.0 problem with GA-Z68X-UD7-B3
« on: December 04, 2015, 08:44:17 am »
Hello everyone, thanks for reading this and I hope you can help.

Windows 7 64-bit (I don't wish to upgrade just now)
Intel Core i7 2700K
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3
1000W power supply

My problem is that none of the USB ports work at USB 3.0 speed.  When I plug 3.0 devices like my smartphone or an external device, Windows tells me that the device can perform faster if I plug it into a SuperSpeed USB port.

Now, I've used different devices (including a flash drive) and different cables and different ports to see if there was a problem with any of them - there isn't.

I updated the drivers for the chipset (as best I could) for the Intel Z68 chipset and the Renesas USB 3.0 controller from the Gigabyte website.  So as far as the board drivers and the hardware is concerned, all is in order.  Everything is plugged in as it should be inside.

I did a bit of reading around (because this problem is from years ago) and I find that Windows 7 didn't have any USB 3.0 drivers, so the chipset makers (Intel for USB 2.0 in this case, and Renesas for 3.0) provided drivers to be included on the UD7 board.  Now, it seems that Renesas (NEC) were kind enough to write drivers for Gigabyte at the time. 

The Intel Z68 chipset seems to be 6 series of C200 flavour - so there is no possibility of xCHI driver updates or whatever.  The UD7 has two D720200 chips, I've tried installing updated USB 3.0 drivers from Renesas but with little success.

None of my USB 3.0 ports work.  Or rather, they work with 2.0 speed.  I tested this using a program whose name I forgot a while back.

Is there a way to force Windows to go down the D720200 path rather than take the lazy C200 path?  Am I missing a driver update that other people might have downloaded last year?  I have done a lot of searching for updated drivers of the Renesas chip and find a lot of link to supposed drivers missing.  I was wondering if you had any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance.

P.S. I know some of the ports on the back of the UD7 are USB 2.0 - I haven't been testing those for USB 3.0, I followed the manual layout for testing.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: USB 3.0 problem with GA-Z68X-UD7-B3
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 06:56:38 pm »
I don't know if this will work. Have you tried to Enabled this?

Integrated Peripherals

USB3.0 Turbo (1st Renesas D720200 USB 3.0 Controller, 5 USB 3.0 Ports on the Back
Panel, Not Including the Upper USB 3.0 Port Next to the Audio Jacks)
Enables or disables the Turbo USB mode for the first Renesas D720200 USB 3.0 controller. The actual
performance may vary depending on the number of devices being installed. (Default: Disabled)
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Re: USB 3.0 problem with GA-Z68X-UD7-B3
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 08:56:40 pm »
I tried to change the BIOS settings to see if that would have any effect.
I'm running F10 BIOS which is the latest for my board.
All the settings relating to USB 3.0 are enabled in the BIOS including the controllers and the Turbo mode.  I tried it with Turbo on and off in my testing around.  I feel like I might be missing something obvious.

Im the device manager in Windows, everything is installed normally, no yellow triangles.