Official GIGABYTE Forum

H170N - WIFI : issues disabling USB3 and with QFlash

H170N - WIFI : issues disabling USB3 and with QFlash
« on: December 05, 2015, 01:06:58 pm »
Hi GB forums!

I've happily picked the board mentioned for my (first!) self-made NAS build.

In my endeavour to install FreeNas 9.3 on this board it turns out that FreeNas does not like USB3 and a very probable cause for this OS refusing to install is that I'm trying to install it from a media that connects to the computer via USB3. So I've searched through the menus on how to disable USB3 but all I could find was the xHCI handshake option.

Further, I wanted to upgrade to latest BIOS version (F3, it would seem). As the system won't install, figured having the latest BIOS may help. Now here I have this VERY weird issue : 4-5 seconds after I press End and enter QFlash, the motherboard restarts no matter what.
So If I simply launch QFlash and stare at the menu 5 sec it restarts. If however I'm faster, I get to select the USB drive, I get to choose to upgrade to F3 it still restarts after 5 seconds, in the middle of the BIOS verification procedure.
Lucky I guess that this timer isn't higher ; it could have just as well restarted after 20 seconds, while doing the BIOS update itself.

So I'd like to know
a) if disabling USB3 can be done on this board , and setting the sole xHCI handshake option to Enabled is enoungh
b) why did I get the bizzare QFlash experience i got? What do I do to be able to update the BIOS with an thumb drive?

Thanks

Re: H170N - WIFI : issues disabling USB3 and with QFlash
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 07:47:02 pm »
Solved my freeNas installation issue by installing from an SATA dvddrive to an SATA SSD. So by virtually bypassing the USB stack.

Otherwise I'm really happy with the features of this little GB board. Never thought a GB board could get me enthusiastic, but this one did. Just now I've found the second Gbit port (never considered looking for that when buying). So I can link these two for even faster file transfers.. Yay.

Still, i'm worried about the QFlash problem. I wish there was an explanation. I'm too afraid now to ever try updating my UEFI. Been updating bioses for GB and other vendors for years, with floppy drives, flash drives or by using windows software directly. Till now, zero problems..
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 08:17:33 pm by entity279 »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 08:03:39 pm »
You do have USB-2 on the board. You can connect it to the front panel if you can. There is one USB-2 header on the board.

You might want set this to Full Initial

USB Support
Disabled - All USB devices are disabled before the OS boot process completes.
Full Initial - All USB devices are functional in the operating system and during the POST.
Partial Initial - Part of the USB devices are disabled before the OS boot process completes.
(Default)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 08:07:51 pm by dmdilks »
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 08:14:27 pm »
You are correct about the USB2 header, that would be a useful suggestion. I've however connected the USB3 header back then, not anticipating the issues ahead.

It doesn't matter anymore since I've managed to achieve what I intended without USB