Official GIGABYTE Forum

Can't Enable Graphics Card On Z97X Gaming G1

Hartley

Can't Enable Graphics Card On Z97X Gaming G1
« on: December 11, 2015, 09:50:20 pm »
Finally gaining more knowledge about my Gigabyte Z97X G1 Gaming Motherboard but I'm scratching my head again.

I can Boot into Windows when I'm connected via HDMI on the Mobo using the onboard graphics but I can't seem to use the HDMI output from my graphics card. My screen is just blank.

I have looked at BIOS and can see that PCI-express is selected as first choice but still it doesn't seem to work. I have to keep changing it back to the integrated graphics if I want to use the PC.

The card is an MSI R9 390. I have the 8 pin and six pin power connections firmly in place and the fans on the GPU certainly power up but I just can't seem to get anything from it.

Even Device Manager in Windows doesn't have it listed. Only the Gigabyte onboard graphics. There must be something I haven't done? Well, I didn't install the Drivers from the supplied CD because some people say don't bother with the CD drivers and just download the latest when you get on the internet. Either way, I should still be able to use the graphics card shouldn't I?

Thanks.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Can't Enable Graphics Card On Z97X Gaming G1
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 11:19:07 pm »
Drivers really nothing to do when you first boot. Most of the new cards have a little LED near the power plugs are they on and they should be white or clear. I'm not saying all cards do, but most of them do. If they are not lite or another color you might not have it all the way into the slot.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Hartley

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 02:36:17 pm »
Yes,....the MSI Dragon logo was certainly on and the two GPU fans were spinning. A bit more forum trawling from various sites came up with many results of this problem.

What some have done with success is to go into BIOS, select MIT and choose from the list of options such as Auto (Default), 1st Gen, 2nd Gen, 3rd Gen whilst still keeping the card in the main PCI-Express x16 slot. So I gave it a shot and selected Gen 1. Still no dice, this time, Gen 2 and hey presto, I'm now using the the actual graphics card HDMI output to my monitor. I had to change the resolution though up to 1920x1080p because at start-up it was something like 768x whatever it was.

I don't quite know what the difference is between the Gens but I hope I'm not losing out on full capacity of my GPU. Anyway, at least I'm on the GPU HDMI outlet and not the integrated graphics on the mobo so I'm getting closer and closer to the finish line. :)

Hartley

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 10:03:47 pm »
Seriously,..what's going on here? I thought my GPU problem (post above) was sorted. Placed everything back in the PC case and now the graphics card continues to give a blank screen when connected via the HDMI to my monitor. The BIOS is configured to Boot on PCI. card securely in place, fans on and lights up.

If my BIOS is meant to Boot on PCI where my graphics card is, then why can I still Boot into Windows when using the HDMI from the Mobo using the onboard graphics? Wouldn't that have to be on its own setting too?

Is this looking like a bad GPU card? I'm a novice builder but I've done so much trouble shooting this weekend that I believe I've become quite familiar with the BIOS and realised it's not rocket science. Just set BIOS to PCI, connection from GPU card to monitor and it should display. But I'm getting nothing.

Can anyone here on the official Gigabyte forums give me any help with this? is it going to be an RMA job?

Gigabyte Z97X G1 Gaming Black Edition
MSI R9 390 Gaming 8G Graphics Card
16Gb (2x8) Corsair Vengeance RAM DDR3 1066
Intel I5 4690K 3.5Ghz
Enermax (Platimax) 1500W

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 10:49:14 pm »
That board should support that card. You should be able to drop the card in and go. You really shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get a video card to work. One thing you can try is update the bios first. The first PCIe 1 Slot is set to able by default.

I would clear the cmos and pull the battery for about 5 mins. With the power plug unplug. Put everything back. Then I would go back in and set it to default setting reboot. Go back in and set time, date and how you had the drives setup. Reboot and then try the card again if it still doesn't work I RMA it.

Initial Display Output
Specifies the first initiation of the monitor display from the installed PCI graphics card, PCI Express graphics
card or the onboard graphics.
IGFX Sets the onboard graphics as the first display.
PCIe 1 Slot Sets the graphics card on the PCIEX16 slot as the first display. (Default)
PCIe 2 Slot Sets the graphics card on the PCIEX8 slot as the first display.
PCIe 3 Slot Sets the graphics card on the PCIEX4 slot as the first display.
PCI Sets the graphics card on the PCI slot as the first display.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Hartley

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 06:48:57 am »
My BIOS version is F8, BIOS Date 19/09/2015. BIOS ID 8A06AGOU.

Just been to Gigabyte downloads website and noted that I do already have the latest BIOS. (F8). Thank goodness for that at least.

As I mentioned earlier, I did manage to get the GPU going for a short while when I had all of the parts connected outside of the case during the build so I took advantage and updated the graphics Drivers direct from AMD. Everything worked for a few hours even after many restarts. When I was satisfied all was working well, I placed everything back in the case, switched on and blank screen again. Only this time, no matter what I do or try, I just can't get anything from the graphics card when booting up, just a blank screen even though I'm sure Windows 10 has loaded waiting for my commands.

I have cleared CMOS and taken out battery already beforehand but it made no difference.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 07:08:08 am by Hartley »