Official GIGABYTE Forum

ga-k8n ultra-9 bios won't update.

sks447

ga-k8n ultra-9 bios won't update.
« on: April 05, 2010, 03:44:31 am »
I have had this motherboard for along time now. I was trying some different raid settings the other day and it would just hang at the boot screen. I had to power cycle it a few times and now I noticed the Bios has a problem. I think the primary Bios fried. I just updated it a week ago (2008 bios), now when it boots up it says (2005). I cannot upgrade the Bios via floppy or the @Bios program. It acts like it takes but when I reboot it still has the old Bios. I also cannot restart the PC, when I do it never Posts. I actually have to shutdown the PC completely, then it will boot after 1 long beep. I think my board is screwed, any suggestions!!??

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: ga-k8n ultra-9 bios won't update.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 06:38:13 am »
Hi,

Did you remember to re-load Optimised Defaults after Flashing BIOS?
Have you tried re-flashing/recovering BIOS with the QFlash utility? (pages 57 - 63 of User's Manual explain these steps)
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

sks447

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 02:54:51 pm »
I tried Q flash as well. I will try the defaults.

sks447

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 05:31:16 am »
I tried the newest version of @bios and the update failed. I got a used motherboard from a friend in the hopes of keeping my old system running. I decided to try the Bios update one last time. It didnt fail so I restarted. I check the Bios and it TOOK! What the hell? It almost seems as if the motherboard said "oh crap, im being replaced." and started to work. I don't get it either but it seems fine now. Gremlins??

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 07:32:53 am »
Hi,
pleased that you have now got your rig running and not really sure why BIOS wouldn't flash properly in the first place.

How long have you had the board?
You might find that it is time to replace the battery and I have experienced weird issues when they start to fade.

ATB
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.