Hello.

I got a Gigabyte GA785GT-UD3H.
2gb of DDR3 ram.
AMD Athlon X2 240 @ 2.80 Ghz
Gigabyte HD 5770
Thermaltake 400PSU
Windows Xp 32bit
Using onboard and PCI Cmedia sound card

For some reason i can not hibernate or standby.
I got the newest Video drivers from ATI.
But for some reason i can not hibernate/standby.
When i try to hibernate/standby it will say "Papering for standby(or hibernate)" and it will just hang.
I had the same problem when using the HD 4200 IGP and the onboard sound card alone(few months ago).

I was going to update the onboard sound card and Chip set drivers , but i not sure which chip set drivers i got and i when i updated the Realtek drivers from Gigabyte they stuffed up the sound card control panel.

I tried Ubuntu live cd and that standby was successful but coming on from standby made the screen produce strange colors(Live cd does not run ATI drivers so this is expected).
Hibernate would not work at all(this is expected because i haven't got ATI drivers in Ubuntu).

What do i do ?

Re: GA785GT-UD3H can't hibernate or standby
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 04:56:19 am »
Any one ?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 07:48:31 am »
Hi,

If you can hibernate with Ubuntu but not with Windows XP then it points to the software environment within XP being the cause of the problem rather than a hardware fault.

I am running the latest ATI drivers (10.3) on my Rig and have no problem entering Sleep mode. However I do not use Hibernate or Standby so I'm not sure if there is a problem there. But I will do a bit of playing around for you and post back with the results.

If this problem only started when you tried to update some of your drivers then it is a fair guess that the registry has become confused and I have found it is often easier to re-install the OS and start again with the latest drivers.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 12:22:44 pm »
UPDATE

I have spent several hours trying to recreate your problem but have not been able too.

I had to do a clean install of XP 32 bit (as I usually run Windows 7 64 bit) but even with latest drivers and all updates from Microc**p I had no issues with: Sleep mode or Hibernation and PC came alive each time I restarted.

Hope this helps

ATB

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 04:45:48 pm »
Hi,

If you can hibernate with Ubuntu but not with Windows XP then it points to the software environment within XP being the cause of the problem rather than a hardware fault.

I am running the latest ATI drivers (10.3) on my Rig and have no problem entering Sleep mode. However I do not use Hibernate or Standby so I'm not sure if there is a problem there. But I will do a bit of playing around for you and post back with the results.

If this problem only started when you tried to update some of your drivers then it is a fair guess that the registry has become confused and I have found it is often easier to re-install the OS and start again with the latest drivers.

"If you can hibernate with Ubuntu but not with Windows XP then it points to the software environment within XP being the cause of the problem rather than a hardware fault."

No i cant Hibernate in Ubuntu(because of no ATi drivers being installed i would guess)

"If this problem only started when you tried to update some of your drivers then it is a fair guess that the registry has become confused and I have found it is often easier to re-install the OS and start again with the latest drivers."

No the problem has always been there.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 05:10:49 pm »
Hi,

Sorry, I misunderstood your original post and thought you could hibernate OK with Ubuntu, my mistake. I should have put my reading glasses on!!  :-[

Have you checked your settings in BIOS? Try loading optimised defaults and check to see if you still have hibernation problem.

Also is your motherboard actually the GA785GMT-UD3H (rev1.0) rather than GA785GT-UD3H?

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 05:49:19 pm »
its REV: 1.1

Edit:i tried optimized defaults.

Didn't work :'(

Also when i standby i hear the hard drive click off.
But the windows screen :Preparing for standby is still there.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 06:32:12 pm by starcraftmaster »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 06:44:03 pm »
Hi,

Can you confirm Mobo as I can't locate the model number you have given on the Gigabyte UK website.

Is it the GA-MA785GT-UD3H (rev. 1.1) board?

Do you have latest BIOS for your Mobo?

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 05:54:33 am »
Hi,

Can you confirm Mobo as I can't locate the model number you have given on the Gigabyte UK website.

Is it the GA-MA785GT-UD3H (rev. 1.1) board?

Do you have latest BIOS for your Mobo?

Heres a link to the board : :
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=3291

Yes there is a few bios updates ... . but none of them say they fix things like this .
Do they fix more then they tell ?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 07:05:37 am »
Hi,

Yes BIOS updates do sometimes fix things that aren't mentioned in the release notes but, they can also alter some of the things that don't need fixing.  :o

I think, it would be a good idea to update BIOS to latest revision and see if it fixes the issue.

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 08:32:16 am »
Ok then.

But i haven't updated a bios for a long time.

So i just download the newest one (F6) and install it or do i install F5 and then F6?
I got F4 right now.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 08:38:12 am »
You can go straight to the F6 bios.

I would recommend using the QFlash utility for flashing BIOS rather than @BIOS software.

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 10:44:18 am »
Ok I updated to F6.

Still can not hibernate nor standby  :'(

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 11:19:44 am »
Hi,
Sorry this is taking so long to troubleshoot for you and I am not really sure why you can't get the system to hibernate or standby properly.

If it was me, having updated BIOS and the fact that you seem to be able to hear your hard drive shut down before the system hangs, I would seriously consider a re-install of the OS as the registry could well have become corrupted.

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 12:20:14 pm »
Hi,
Sorry this is taking so long to troubleshoot for you and I am not really sure why you can't get the system to hibernate or standby properly.

If it was me, having updated BIOS and the fact that you seem to be able to hear your hard drive shut down before the system hangs, I would seriously consider a re-install of the OS as the registry could well have become corrupted.

Well it was like that before(i did some thing to my win xp install and therefore i had to do a complete reinstall)

I so i think a reformat of the computer is not going to to do much.

Maybe i need to update the chipset drivers ?
How do i know the ones i got now ?
I will uninstall the Realtek drivers and see what happens
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 12:21:07 pm by starcraftmaster »