Official GIGABYTE Forum

B85 Gaming 3 SIV, instant shut off.

B85 Gaming 3 SIV, instant shut off.
« on: January 09, 2016, 01:22:48 am »
Hey everyone, this is my 1st post and also my very first motherboard for my 1st build.  So I'm still learning.

I recently purchased 2 Arctic F12 PWM PST fans. I've currently got them "daisy chained" to my stock cpu cooler (I5 4460). The fans run perfectly fine this way but the problem is when I open SIV, click Fan Smart Control, and click either one of the options to adjust the speed of my fans (i.e. Performance). My computer just restarts.

My BIOS fan settings are set to Normal btw. I've only found 2 other posts similar to my problem but I didn't want to necro an old thread and they never came to any conclusions besides Windows 10 incompatibility which I'd assume would be fixed by now.

BIOS version is F2, which I believe is the latest and I'm running Windows 10 64 bit.

Thanks in advance for the help!

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: B85 Gaming 3 SIV, instant shut off.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 02:37:27 am »
Why do you have them connected to the CPU fan plug? You do a SYS fan plug at the bottom of the board. You really shouldn't have them connected to that CPU Plug. The smart fan support doesn't know which fan to control.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Re: B85 Gaming 3 SIV, instant shut off.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 03:45:21 am »
Understandable but I was under the assumption that it was okay, do to the "PST" feature of the Arctic fans. It essentially just signals to the next fan in the piggy back to run at which ever RPM the Smart Control seems fit. So it runs them all at the same RPM off of the one header.

My current setup is...My exhaust fan is connected to my only Sys Fan header, Front intake is connected to PSU. So I wanted to try to connect a side intake and top exhaust fan using the cpu fan header and have it regulate those 2 fans with the cpu cooler.

I could be wrong though. There was a forum thread where the OP did the same thing, of course with a different Gigabyte MB.

I'll take your advice and try it that way to see.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 03:49:18 am by HAIRYcoot »