Official GIGABYTE Forum

Ga-x58-usb3 ssd boot issue

Ga-x58-usb3 ssd boot issue
« on: January 16, 2016, 01:58:14 am »
I'm having an issue. BIOS set to ahci. All hard drives were disconnected besides the ssd prior to clean install of Windows 7 x64. Install went without a hitch. Installed drivers, shut down and connected the other 3 sata hard drives. Booted up fine, restarted after installing my usual software and I was presented with the infamous hard drives and cd drives only iSrc 23 error. If I disconnect the hdd but leave the ssd connected it works fine it's just it doesn't post when all are connected. I have the latest bios available. Any help would be appreciated

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Ga-x58-usb3 ssd boot issue
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 05:17:25 pm »
Make sure you are booting to that drive 1st in "Hard Disk Boot Priority". Plus make sure this is disabled "SATA Port0-3 Native Mode".
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 06:13:37 pm »
Thanks for your reply. It's set as highest priority in bios, also the native mode is disabled. The ssd is on port 1 with  the dvd drive on port 0

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 02:35:04 am »
UPDATE: I have finally resolved my issue. Here's what I did in case others are having same issue.

I disconnected all HDD's sata cables (leaving power connected), except the SSD then in the BIOS I set the Hard Drive Mode to IDE, Disabled Native IDE Mode for ports 0-3. I installed Windows 10, after booting I followed the instructions of another forum member as follows;

1. Run Command Prompt as Admin
2. Invoke a Safe Mode boot with the command: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
3. Restart the PC and enter your BIOS during bootup.
4. Change from IDE to AHCI mode then Save & Exit.
5. Windows 10 will launch in Safe Mode.
6. Right click the Window icon and select to run the Command Prompt in Admin mode from among the various options.
7. Cancel Safe Mode booting with the command: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
8. Restart your PC once more and this time it will boot up normally but with AHCI mode activated.
9. Bask in the reflected glory of being a total Windows 10 God

Upon rebooting successfully with AHCI mode enabled (still only SSD connected). I shutdown, connected 1 HDD, booted up fine, I connected up the second HDD it would freeze at AHCI BIOS iSrc v1.20E screen, so I disconnected that and tried the 3rd and it booted up successfully. With the power already connected pre-boot, I connected the 3rd HDD while in Windows. I installed the Intel Chipset driver from Gigabyte website which updated the AHCI driver, I then checked the partitions with Minitools Partition Wizard and or some peculiar reason it was detecting the partition as a "Dynamic Disk" which was labeled foreign, so I converted it back to a basic disk, set it as active, applied and rebooted now all hard drives are connected up and the ssd of course. I hope that this helps. ;D

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 04:49:40 am »
Did you use windows 10 from the start because in your first post it said windows 7. Yes windows 10 does have some problems with HHD. I had the same problem with one of the drives.

I was using a dual boot and all I did was remove the stuff off of that drive in win 7. Then formatted the drive and it was then fine in windows 10.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 06:01:58 pm »
I had the same problem with both. After many re-installations decided to stick with windows 10.