Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-H55M-UD2H issues with RAM and 64 bit OS?

tatty

GA-H55M-UD2H issues with RAM and 64 bit OS?
« on: January 22, 2016, 05:47:33 am »
Hi
A long story -- I'll give as much detail as possible.

Original working setup:
GA-H55M-UD2H rev1.3
Intel i3, using on-board graphics
Kingston KVR1333D3N9/2G
Running Win 7 (32 bit) with no problems.

About 6 months ago I decided to upgrade the RAM (knowing that at some point I would switch to a 64 bit OS), and so I bought a 2X4GB Patriot memory kit (PSD38G1333KH).
Even though the RAM wasn't all usable, Win 7 (32 bit) ran with the new RAM with no problems at all.

Recently I decided to install Win 10 (64 bit), and so added a new SSD alongside the original SATA drive.

When I tried to install Win 10, the installer kept crashing with a blue screen and a "Kernel security check" error, but I discovered that if I replaced the new Patriot RAM with the old Kingston RAM I was able to install and run Win 10.

After installing Win 10 I tried putting the Patriot RAM back, but it would crash on startup with the same error message as the installer. (I installed the RAM in the correct slots for dual channel operation as detailed in the Gigabyte manual.)

Patriot support suggested using Memtest86+ v4.2.0 to test the memory.
Memtest hung after about 10 seconds of testing. If I tried a single stick of RAM at a time, the computer would reboot repeatedly while loading the BIOS.

Patriot support were very decent, and replaced the RAM for me, but that made no difference. They then suggested that double-sided RAM might solve the issue, and so replaced the RAM with 2x4GB double-sided RAM (PSD34G13332H), but the same issues persist (Memtest hangs, my Win 10 install fails to load.)

I've tried running Memtest with the SSD disconnected, I have upgraded the BIOS version to F10, used optimised settings and tried changing some settings in the BIOS, but can't find any solution.

Weird thing is that my Win 7 install still works perfectly with either the Kingston or Patriot memory installed, and my Win 10 install works fine with only the Kingston memory installed...

Is there some incompatibility between the motherboard and the Patriot RAM that is only manifest when I run Memtest or Win 10?

I'm at a loss as to what to try next -- disable the on-board graphics? Upgrade the BIOS to a newer version than the one on the Gigabyte support page?

Very grateful for any help anyone can offer.

Thanks!

aldweb

Re: GA-H55M-UD2H issues with RAM and 64 bit OS?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 06:52:05 pm »
Hello,

My config:
GA-H55M-UD2H rev1.0
Intel i5, using on-board graphics
Memory:
Original working 2x 2GB - Kingston PC3-10600 (KVR1333D3N9K2/4G)
Tried 4x (and 2x) 4GB - G.Skill PC3-10600 (F3-1333C9S-4GNS)

Both memory sets are identified and reported fine in the BIOS (latest F11 version).
Running Windows 7 (32 bit) with no problems with both sets of memory.
And I got the same kernel security check issue as you when trying Windows 10 (64 bits) with the new 16GB (or 8GB) G.Skill memory set, when everything was running fine and smooth with the original (4 GB) Kingston memory set.

I am also at a loss as to what to try next.
I do not feel like moving to 64 bits operating system and remaining at 4 GB of RAM...

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
aldweb

« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 10:43:36 pm by aldweb »