Official GIGABYTE Forum

UEFI help with GA-Z77X-UD5H

UEFI help with GA-Z77X-UD5H
« on: February 04, 2016, 02:09:20 am »
Hey gents! Hopefully someone is able to solve this conundrum for me.

I do a lot of tweaking with my OS's, swapping around drives, etc. Monday I decided to toss my hardware into a different case. After getting everything set up, I threw in my 2 SSD's to the two 6gb/s sata slots so as to fully utilize them, and though there was no hardware change, and the SSD's were in the same ports as they had been in the previous tower, they were no longer recognized as boot devices by the board's EFI.

I'm used to reformatting so it was no big deal, threw an OS back on and popped one back in, but it still did not recognize it as a boot device. Confused, I wondered if something had somehow become corrupted in the board's EFI boot entries. Following some advice on another forum, I popped in a REFIND USB, popped into EFI shell, and manually removed all boot entries (on a side note, does anyone else's mobo decide to hold onto devices that are no longer plugged in?) - after deleting around 20 boot entries (completely removing all trace of boot entries in the system) I rebooted. It seems that my two SSD's EFI partitions are no longer recognized by the BIOS.

I thought maybe I had somehow damaged the ports, but this was not the case as I can switch CSM back on and boot into "legacy mode" without issue.

So then, on a whim I decided maybe flashing the bios would reset whatever may have happened, and so I flashed bios F14. This went through without a hitch. In a hopeful man, I popped my SSD back in to one of the 6GB/S slots, to no avail. I popped it into the other, also to no avail.

I then tried manually entering the efi partitions BOOTX64.efi into the system, which confirmed and saw the boot device. Rebooted, and selected the option I had created, and it did not boot.

I can boot these drives as EFI from any of the other sata3 ports, but the rest are limited to 3GB/s speeds, which would not fully utilize my SSD's as I'd like. Booting in Legacy from the 6GB/s ports IS an option, and does work, but I'd prefer to use my EFI as it makes the boot process a bit more appealing to the eyes (certain OS's I run have their boot screens stretched and distorted).

Anyone have any ideas?

This was the command I ran to add the boot entry: bcfg boot add 0 fs1:\EFI\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi "OS"

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: UEFI help with GA-Z77X-UD5H
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 04:15:51 am »
Did you look in here for you drives. Hard Drive/CD/DVD ROM Drive/Floppy Drive/Network Device BBS Priorities

Plus to boot from a UEFI DVD or USB you have to have the windows disk in the drive or the windows USB plug in to choose to boot to them. It does tell you that kind of in the book.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.