Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte EP45 UD3P (rev 1.0) Not Detecting SSD/HDD In AHCI Mode

I installed Windows 7 (64bit) in October 2009 on a 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 in AHCI mode on the ICH10R cont, with 2 (two) other HDDs attached, 1 x WD 640GB AAKS and 1 x 250GB Seagate 7200.10, everything ran fine since then. A few weeks ago, I replaced the 1TB Samsung F3 with an 80GB Intel X25-M G2 (with latest firmware) SSD, which also ran fine until a few days ago, when, after running Windows 7 Backup and Restore, to restore a previous (system) backup, the backup having been restored successfully, as the comp started to reboot, as the AHCI screen came up, the comp froze and would not detect the SSD, which was on the 1st SATA port on the Intel ICH10R cont. I powered off and eventually tried a 400GB Seagate 7200.10 on the 4th SATA Port (with the SSD removed from 1st SATA port), also still running in AHCI mode, having powered on, and the AHCI screen appeared, it detected the WD AAKS and the 250GB Seagate 7200.10 HDDs on the 2nd and 3rd SATA ports on the Intel ICH10R cont, but when it came to the 4th SATA port (the 400GB Seagate 7200.10, which was selected in BIOS as 1st HDD in Hard Disk boot Priority) once again it did not detect the HDD.

I then went into BIOS and changed the ICH10R cont to run in IDE mode and the SSD and HDDs were ALL detected and I was able to boot into Windows. I then went into BIOS and selected RAID mode on the ICH10R, however on the RAID page it simply would not detect the SSD on the 1st SATA port.

With the SSD/HDD not detected and frozen on the AHCI screen, the only way to get the comp functioning again was to clear CMOS.

This problem is occuring before Windows even starts to load, so it would appear to be some issue with the ICH10R controller, I am using the latest BIOS F10 and have Intel Rapid 9.6.0.1014 AHCI drivers installed, that ebabled TRIM to function.

What is the possible cause of this problem?

I have done a Search of the Forums, but nothing on this came up.

It would appear to be some fault that has developed with the Intel ICH10R cont on the Gigabyte EP45 UD3P motherboard.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 03:08:32 am by jbloggs »

Re: Gigabyte EP45 UD3P (rev 1.0) Not Detecting SSD/HDD In AHCI Mode
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 08:40:01 pm »
Reckon I have got it sorted now...

Running HDDErase v4 on the SSD appears to have cleared the issue as the SSD is now detected by the motherboard...

Thanks.