Official GIGABYTE Forum

Undervolting 980 Ti G1 Gaming via OC GURU II

Undervolting 980 Ti G1 Gaming via OC GURU II
« on: February 21, 2016, 03:25:48 pm »
Hi,
I's like to undervolt the card in order to lower its temps in idle. The card sits in a computer that's used both for work and play. During work, I like to keep the computer absolutely silent. All the case fans are turned off and the CPU fan spins at about 300 RPM. However, since the case is so poorly ventilated during this "work mode", my Gigabyte 980 Ti reaches an idle temperature of abou 56 degrees C – that's when the GPU fan starts behaving abnormally. It spins up to about 1200 RPM for a second and then quickly goes back to 0 RMP several times, until the card's temperature sinks to 55 degrees C or lower.

I currently see two solutions:
1. Undervolting the card, so that it stays cooler in idle. However, when I try to change the "Offset MIN" value in the "CORE VOLTAGE" tab of OC GURU II an hit apply, it goes back to 0.000 V – the setting doesn't stick. Does anyone know how to make this work?
2. Changing the fan curve; however, I'd like to know the values of the default curve ("Auto") if anyone knows them, so I can just modify the starting ones (at about 50–60 degrees C) and leave the other ones exaclty the same as they are on Auto.

If neither of the above solutions work, I'll have to upgrade to the F4 version of the BIOS, I guess. Would that make the card stay more silent in idle? I really don't care how loud it gets under load when playing games; it's the idel temps and the fan spinning up when I'm working that's annoying.

Please let me know if anyone knows the fix or has a better idea.

Thanks!