Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z170X gaming 7 won't post

Z170X gaming 7 won't post
« on: February 24, 2016, 05:45:02 pm »
I did a lot of research last night and I can't seem to find a situation just like mine. I just received my z170x gaming 7, Intel i7 6700k, and g.skill ripjaws V 3400 ddr4. Assemble everything properly (built dozens of computers in the past, no worries, doesn't mean I DIDN'T break something, but I'm fairly confident I didn't.) and it won't post. Error code 55 - no RAM. Took out the RAM, same problem (of course) switched around DIMMs, the whole 9, no changes. Now from what I've read it's because the stock BIOS won't run OC'd RAM. So what I'm *thinking* is that I can run down to the local PC store and get 4gb of 2133 ddr4 and boot off of that, update the BIOS, reboot, change CMOS to throttle the RAM to 2133, and run my ripjaws at 2133. Does that seem like it'll work? I haven't checked the CPU for bent pins yet, that's gonna be the following step if it doesn't work.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Z170X gaming 7 won't post
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 06:04:09 pm »
Hi,

there have been a lot of posts on this forum regarding this kind of problem, that have been resolved by getting a stick of 2133Mhz RAM to get the board fired up. Once you have done that you should be able to get the RAM to run faster by tweaking the BIOS and putting the faster RAM modules back in.

Also check to see if there is a BIOS update for your motherboard over at TweakTown here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios.html and, once you have the board running, update to the latest version using QFlash as this should help improve compatibility.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Re: Z170X gaming 7 won't post
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 04:21:51 am »
Got it to post and is running stable at 3200k. Thanks for the help.