Official GIGABYTE Forum

Activate S.M.A.R.T.

Shinnen

Activate S.M.A.R.T.
« on: April 10, 2010, 04:55:02 am »
Hi,
       Should I, and if I should, how ..... do I activate S.M.A.R.T on my hard drives with my GA 8IR533?
Thanks,
...... john

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Activate S.M.A.R.T.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 10:49:09 am »
Hi John,

The Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology, or S.M.A.R.T.  (sometimes written as SMART), is a monitoring system for computer hard disks and can help indicate if your HDD's are liable to fail.

Whilst the theory is sound, in most cases there is no real need to enable the SMART function. If your hard-disk is going to fail due to wear and tear you will usually get plenty of warning and realise it's time to replace the HDD before it fails. If it fails due to an electronic component failing, it will happen suddenly and SMART technology generally doesn't pick this up.

So should you enable it? In my opinion it isn't worth it unless you are running a high-end server or monitoring lots of PC's in a work place environment.

Having read through the manual for your mobo however, I think it is academic as there seems to be no option in BIOS to enable it.

Hope this helps

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Shinnen

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 03:44:00 pm »
Thanks Absic,
        Yes..... I couldn't find anything either, not in the manual or in the bios, but I keep getting this message at post that SMART is disabled, so I thought I should look into it. I noticed that there are softwares that will monitor the health of the drive, so I was wondering if they are worth installing.
Thanks for your help. I'll probably just leave it as it is.
.... john

Fatman

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 01:55:15 am »
If it is any help I also have it disabled and have no problems here ;D

Shinnen

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 01:09:29 am »
Thank you both for the help.
.... john

scjet

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 02:35:40 am »
 I have never enabled "Get S.M.A.R.T." for over 10 years now, I heard of some problems with it enabled, way back then?, but I have never heard of anyone having any problems by "disabling" this fluff -which BTW should be an invisible hardware controller function if anything, and NOT a useless BIOS filler to look good.

It's a useless feature that only pesters your already "busy" hardrive. then again.?, maybe SSD-technology will revive this thing for whatever reason?
anyway, NOBODY bothers with this old BIOS setting -so don't you start.
:)
MB: GA-X58A-UD3R / GA-890FXA-UD5
CPU: Intel Core i7-930 / AMD Phenom II 1090T
Heatsink: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 / NH-C12P SE14
Mem: G.Skill DDR3-1600 Triple-Ch 1.5V (12800CL9T-6G) / Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 Dual-Ch 1.5V DDR3-1333 (16-Gig kit)