GA-Z97-HD3 won’t POST
« on: March 15, 2016, 07:03:58 pm »
GA-Z97-HD3 Z97 rev 2.1 bios F8 bios ID 8A06AG02
Antec Edge 650W
Intel i5-4590
G. Skill Trident X PC3 17000 16gb
Native MB  DVI video
Win 10 Pro

I just want to say this build ran without a hiccup for 4 months, then one morning I got "can't find boot device" after POST.

Subsequent boots after unplugging everything then reseating everything got no video at all, then every 10th boot it would POST, now just blank screen with all system fans running.

Tried spare graphics card, memory, & PSU. I suspect it's the MB but don't know what else to try as I don't have a cpu nor MB lying around. Any suggestions?  Thank you, Tim

Re: GA-Z97-HD3 won’t POST
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 07:45:22 am »
GA-Z97-HD3 Z97 rev 2.1 bios F8 bios ID 8A06AG02
Antec Edge 650W
Intel i5-4590
G. Skill Trident X PC3 17000 16gb
Native MB  DVI video
Win 10 Pro

I just want to say this build ran without a hiccup for 4 months, then one morning I got "can't find boot device" after POST.

Subsequent boots after unplugging everything then reseating everything got no video at all, then every 10th boot it would POST, now just blank screen with all system fans running.

Tried spare graphics card, memory, & PSU. I suspect it's the MB but don't know what else to try as I don't have a cpu nor MB lying around. Any suggestions?  Thank you, Tim

Hey. I know you must have ditched and replaced your MB long ago, but this happened to my GA-Z87-HD3 motherboard this week and I'm typing this message with the same computer. So I fixed it. If someone finds this with google, this might solve your problem.

--Before you go and buy new parts one after another check this out.--

First of all, it seems this problem is more common than you would want to believe..

But to put it simply, you need to reset cmos (bios) from the motherboard. CMOS is corrupted for some reason and you need to reset it. There are two bioses on the board. You can either follow directions from your MB manual how to reset the bios or just look and locate the text CMOS_RESET from the motherboard. There are two pins which need to be short circuited with for example a screw driver.

Manual tells you to shut down and unplug the power. It didn't reset my computer this way. I did shut down the computer but left the cord in. So there was some current to the MB. Be careful and touch the both pins at the same time for couple of seconds. Then boot the computer.

Now, on the screen should appear "bios is resetted" and options what to do next.

At this point go to bios. Use another computer and go download latest bios to a USB stick. On the bios press F8 and select bios update from your USB stick. Let it update.

After that. Check bios options as you'd like and the computer is ready to use like it was.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 07:47:43 am by tullimiez »