Official GIGABYTE Forum

Motherboard throwing code

Motherboard throwing code
« on: March 13, 2016, 06:15:12 am »
So I built my comp ran great nothing wrong at all is tatted messing with it for over clocking and it was running great then all of a sudden I came back from dinner and the comp screen was black no power except for the mouse and fans lights where still on in the desktop but nothing else. So I shut power down restarted and the computer would come on fine again but as soon as I left to go to bathroom came back it was black again nothing would work and I noticed my mother board was throwing the code c4 looked it up and it gives no details.... my comp is as follows.

Motherboard gigabyte z170x-ud5
I5-6600
Evga nVidia GeForce 980ti
Ram Kingston hyperx 8gb x 2
Cooling corsair h100I
Samsung 850 pro series
WR 1tb
Power 850 gold evga

Someone help me out

c0dist

Re: Motherboard throwing code
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 07:33:45 am »
I'm new here but first thing's first-  go into BIOS settings and load all defaults, save & reboot.  Does the issue go away?

If it still happens then you probably have a hardware problem.  It could be anything from a bad PSU to a badly seated heatsink or damaged CPU.

If it clears up with the defaults, then you probably have a bad or unstable overclock, or insufficient cooling.

I can't help with specifics (I don't overclock personally) but hopefully that gets you started.

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 07:59:17 am »
I'm new here but first thing's first-  go into BIOS settings and load all defaults, save & reboot.  Does the issue go away?

If it still happens then you probably have a hardware problem.  It could be anything from a bad PSU to a badly seated heatsink or damaged CPU.

If it clears up with the defaults, then you probably have a bad or unstable overclock, or insufficient cooling.

I can't help with specifics (I don't overclock personally) but hopefully that gets you started.

Already did load back to defaults and it still continues I've had the comp for about a month now no issues until thI just randomly started. How do I check for bad heatsink. I don't think it's over heating cause I have 3 140mm ad a liquid cooler. So Idk. How do I check the parts to find out

c0dist

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 08:37:30 am »
I'm not sure how to troubleshoot the hardware except to start swapping out parts.  (Assuming you already verified your temperatures are all good.)

You'll know it's the heatsink/fan if the CPU temperature gets too high.  Use a temperature monitor to keep an eye on it.

Another thing to consider:  are you running Windows 10?  I had some problems with coming out of hibernation or booting up until recently when MS released some updates in March.  Make sure you've got the latest Win10 build (1511) with all the March updates.  There might be something happening when your computer goes into low power mode, since you said it happens when you step away.

Just throwing out ideas.

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 10:49:18 am »
I'm not sure how to troubleshoot the hardware except to start swapping out parts.  (Assuming you already verified your temperatures are all good.)

You'll know it's the heatsink/fan if the CPU temperature gets too high.  Use a temperature monitor to keep an eye on it.

Another thing to consider:  are you running Windows 10?  I had some problems with coming out of hibernation or booting up until recently when MS released some updates in March.  Make sure you've got the latest Win10 build (1511) with all the March updates.  There might be something happening when your computer goes into low power mode, since you said it happens when you step away.

Just throwing out ideas.

So more problems arose... When i was at work and went to go set up the htc vive on my comp the screen came on with blue pixels everywhere and then came the BSOD. threw me some bulls*** so i restart and teh comp loads but his time not in my normal res of 1080 but at the lowest res my comp would go but no blue pixels so i went to change it back to 1080 and bam blue pixels so im like whatever comp is still letting me do whatever so i connecy my Vive to my gpu the EVGA z170 980ti and bam inside the headset is blue pixels and the i said f***..... my gpu is whats wrong and thats when i called evga luckly they sare sending me a new one

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 11:42:14 am »
Late reply, I've been traveling..  but I didn't see any mention that Hbklepto1488 had tried another version of gForce drivers?  Also. I haven't been on the EVGA forums recently, but you would also want to check and see if a updated BIOS for the GPU was available before calling the card defective.  EVGA does HANDS DOWN have the best warranty repair/trade in service in the industry. (I don't use anything else).  Hopefully your new card will function as expected.  For future, I would just recommend trying a few other things before giving up and sending the card in for replacement. 
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 12:41:37 pm »
Late reply, I've been traveling..  but I didn't see any mention that Hbklepto1488 had tried another version of gForce drivers?  Also. I haven't been on the EVGA forums recently, but you would also want to check and see if a updated BIOS for the GPU was available before calling the card defective.  EVGA does HANDS DOWN have the best warranty repair/trade in service in the industry. (I don't use anything else).  Hopefully your new card will function as expected.  For future, I would just recommend trying a few other things before giving up and sending the card in for replacement.
[/quote

Here I didn't elaborate I did actually Uninstaller the gpu and reinstalled it updating to the newest version avaliable I tried a colleagues exact same gpu unit and my comp then ran fine same with when I ran the the stock integrated gpu. I called evga they tried to walk me threw a few other options and to no luck.... trust me u did not wish to send the part in but I need it back ASAP like before I even sent it back I have work to do for vr and development a little hard when I'm out my gpu and running 20fps and I need it back to hit 140fps

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 01:05:23 pm »
Thanks for the update Hbklepto1488  :)
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW