Official GIGABYTE Forum

First Gigabyte, APP Center, Should I update from it?

First Gigabyte, APP Center, Should I update from it?
« on: March 18, 2016, 02:15:41 am »
Made the switch from Asus to MSI, but the MSI Z97 board I got was faulty (corrupt bios, and no dual bios) so decided to try out Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7, and so far loving it.

Just found APP center, and I was sure I had grabbed all the necessary Drivers for the Motherboard's Support&Drivers page, but APP Center is saying I still need to update Realtek, Intel Rapid Storage, LAN and Creative.
Should I trust APP center and hit "Update" ?
Asking because, coming from craptastic Asus Suite, would install and update things twice, for no reason.

Also Gigabyte keeps calling it BigFoot LAN when its clearly Killer LAN...am I missing something?

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: First Gigabyte, APP Center, Should I update from it?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 12:14:44 pm »
Now this up to who ever is running a computer. I don't run any of those Utility programs. I learn years ago that it isn't broke don't fix it. I'm not tell you not to update. But if you are not having any problems then don't update.

On the other brands like Asus & MSI they all have there problems. Even Gigabyte does just look at the Z170 series here. Right now my Lan driver is 2 yrs old. Like I said it is up to you, but if you are not having problems don't.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 01:02:46 pm »
Now this up to who ever is running a computer. I don't run any of those Utility programs. I learn years ago that it isn't broke don't fix it. I'm not tell you not to update. But if you are not having any problems then don't update.

On the other brands like Asus & MSI they all have there problems. Even Gigabyte does just look at the Z170 series here. Right now my Lan driver is 2 yrs old. Like I said it is up to you, but if you are not having problems don't.

Does the gigabyte x99 mobo also have the Killer Lan 220x chip? Never used anything other than Atheros or Intel. Unless you have Killer but just Windows installed LAN drivers?

So far not noticing any problems but onlys it for a couple of hours, just finished building it yesterday afternoon.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 01:41:38 pm »
Mine has this one: Intel® GbE LAN chips (10/100/1000 Mbit). Plus that driver one is from the disk. But they do have a bios update to support the Thunderbolt lan card for the X99 boards. Plus what OS are you running?

The thing is the specs say you have this one "Qualcomm® Atheros Killer E2201 LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)". But the driver is for this one: "BigFoot LAN driver". If it is working don't do any thing.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 12:44:20 am »
Just an update, I was using the LAN Driver from the G7's drivers page, and was noticing that I was getting odd pages not loading and certain downloads not moving unless I went into the Killer app and increased that specific program's priority higher than the rest.

Grabbed newer (1.54 from G7, 1.57 from Killer) drivers directly from Killer's official website and so far things seem "better" have a torrent, youtube video and loading more tabs, so far things feel smooth, cant tell if torrent is running slower than it should, feels slower but could just be new swarm.

So far have not ran any of the updates from the APP Center, just grabbed SIV because I want to control the CPU and CPU_OPT fan. they jump to max rpm when CPU goes above 40c...which the 4790k does just opening Chrome(loads about 20-30 tabs from previous session)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 12:46:13 am by HyeVltg3 »

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 11:29:53 am »
I've been traveling, back now..  just to chime in.

100% agree with dmdilks about not updating if everything is working.  I'm using the version of AppCenter and SIV that came on my MB CD.  Well over a year old now. It works just fine.

I am not a fan of QoS or traffic shaping applications.  If you are in a limited bandwidth environment and have a true need to allocate bandwidth for certain machines, protocols or services, then yes, by all means use it, but in my experience there are usually trade-offs and in some cases reduced performance when you use these apps.

I don't bother with these items on a PC, because I already have enough bandwidth and its powerful enough for the tasks I throw at it.  If I'm playing a game, that's all I'm doing, rendering video, uploading a website or talking on VOIP while hosting GTM or webex that's all I'm doing.  I don't need something in the background that can add overhead to manage traffic in and out of my system.

Typically the QoS and WMM, features that come on consumer based routers are pretty poor.  However, I'd use them in favor of a computer based application because they tend to function better managing traffic on your LAN over a application running on your PC.  Sure they have a different purpose as well, but offer better control at a higher level.  Maybe this is just a preference, but I'd rather shape traffic for my entire LAN instead of on a single box. 

Everyone has difference needs and experience with this.  Your mileage may vary.   :)
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW