Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z170X Gaming 7: How do I know if Thunderbolt 3 is working?

Leppermessiah

• Z170X-Gaming 7, BIOS F7
Z170X Gaming 7: How do I know if Thunderbolt 3 is working?
« on: March 27, 2016, 10:17:40 pm »
I followed all the instructions: Updated the BIOS to the latest version, installed the Thunderbolt 3 drivers, ran the firmware update utility (shutdown, left PC unplugged for 30 seconds, restarted), but how do I know if it's functioning?

Where should it be listed in the Windows 10 Device Manager?  I didn't find it listed there.

Obviously, I don't own any actual Thunderbolt 3 technology (I'm not even sure any exists yet) or I guess I would already have my answer.  lol.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 10:19:16 pm by Leppermessiah »

joevt

Re: Z170X Gaming 7: How do I know if Thunderbolt 3 is working?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 10:54:39 am »
I don't have any Thunderbolt devices either. Kanex is planning a dock and other adapters (the Thunderbolt™ 3 to Thunderbolt™ 2 Adapter could be useful for older thunderbolt devices).

USB 3.1 is part of the Thunderbolt 3 chipset. You should be able to find that in the device manager. View Devices by Connection to view the device tree. The USB 3.1 XHCI is connected to one of 4 PCI-to-PCI Bridges that are all part of Thunderbolt 3. The device ID of the USB 3.1 XHCI is 15b6 (top of the Compatible Ids property). Search for the vendor 8086 and device ID 15b6 at pci-ids.ucw.cz to get a description. The motherboard uses Intel's Alpine Ridge chipset for ThunderBolt 3 support. Search the same website for "Alpine Ridge" to get more related IDs. 1578 are the PCI-toPCI Bridges.

I can't tell from the above if everything is functional though but it looks good so far.

What I don't see in the device manager is an NHI (Native Host Interface, device ID 1577). I don't know what that means. I used an app called DevManView to see all the device ID's at once. There's a description of older Thunderbolt at https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/HardwareDrivers/Conceptual/ThunderboltDevGuide/Basics/Basics.html
which mentions the NHI.

Gigabyte's description of the USB 3.1 or Thunderbolt support doesn't say much about what kind of USB or Thunderbolt adapters can or can't be used with it, such as VGA, DisplayPort, HDMI adapters.

Leppermessiah

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 03:53:31 pm »
The USB 3.1 XHCI is listed there.  Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 04:20:52 pm by Leppermessiah »

joevt

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 01:29:22 am »
I didn't have my Thunderbolt fw updated because of an error. After updating the firmware, a "Thunderbolt(TM) Controller -1577" appeared under the 1st of the four PCI-toPCI Bridges (the USB 3.1 XHCI is under the 3rd) but it's only visible when "Show hidden devices" is selected. If I double click it, it says the hardware device is not connected (Code 45). I don't know if that's normal. Maybe the firmware was not updated properly? Running the firmware updater again just tells me to shutdown, unplug power and restart.

Leppermessiah

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 01:41:12 am »
"Thunderbolt(TM) Controller -1577" appeared under the 1st of the four PCI-toPCI Bridges (the USB 3.1 XHCI is under the 3rd) but it's only visible when "Show hidden devices" is selected. If I double click it, it says the hardware device is not connected (Code 45). I don't know if that's normal. Maybe the firmware was not updated properly? Running the firmware updater again just tells me to shutdown, unplug power and restart.

Same here...

Leppermessiah

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 11:31:21 pm »
When I brought this to Gigabytes attention, via their support site, and inquired as to whether or not Thunderbolt 3 is working, I was promptly instructed to disable Thunderbolt in the BIOS without any further explanation. 

Truly the greatest customer support in the biz.

Leppermessiah

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 01:56:33 am »
I asked some follow up questions... which were basically rephrasing my first questions of whether or not the Code 45 error is normal, how do I know if Thunderbolt 3 is working, etc...

"Without the proper TH devices attached the controller will not be able to operate or detect any drives.
If there are issue is once it's disable and you are still prompt with the yellow mark."

Super helpful.

In the end I just submitted a new ticket with the hope that someone else there knows what they're doing.  Will update with any developments.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:58:26 am by Leppermessiah »

Leppermessiah

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 07:29:02 pm »
Someone serious got back to me.  The Thunderbolt is indeed malfunctioning.  Here's a screenshot of my PC.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 07:31:18 pm by Leppermessiah »

Leppermessiah

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 07:30:53 pm »
Their test computer:

joevt

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 10:41:23 pm »
I think a screenshot using "Devices by connection" would be more informative. I can't tell if they have anything plugged into the Thunderbolt port in the "Devices by type" view.

I wonder why our PCI bus is 9 and there's is 7.

I don't have any "PCI Express Downstream Switch Port" devices. Again, if the devices were viewed by connection, it would probably make more sense.

I tried editing the config.ini file in the FlashTBT folder and set fu=y which causes the flash updater to show % progress. The progress got to 14% then skipped to 100% and no error was displayed. It asked me to shutdown, unplug, and restart as usual. I didn't see any change in the results. I don't remember if the first time I tried the firmware update if it got higher than 14%.

I'm currently using BIOS F7. I might have been using F7g when I first tried firmware update.

Leppermessiah

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 06:55:40 pm »
I just asked that question.  Let you know what they say.

They recommend that I RMA it.  :-\

elc00l

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 09:02:17 pm »
Hi,

Mine Thunderbolt(TM) Controller -1577 is also hidden with code 45, PCI bus is 7 and I have firmware up to date. However details in Thunderbolt Software shows it somehow strange (check attachment), three values are unknown.
I also see five PCI Express Downstream Switch Port devices (hidden with code 45). I think it depends whether you have anything connected to USB-C port but of course I cannot confirm that because I don't have anything to connect...

Leppermessiah

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 09:33:55 pm »
Hey, thanks for that.  I was unaware of that device info.

For those interested:

Thunderbolt software>Right click notification icon>Settings>Details

Mine is a bit more complete than yours, as you can see... which makes me suspect it's working?  No networking driver though...

This is also the first evidence I've seen that the firmware update actually installed.

Curious that Gigabyte tech support never suggested looking at this...  :o
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 10:28:43 pm by Leppermessiah »

Leppermessiah

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 10:25:12 pm »
I feel as though I have hit a wall with Gigabyte tech support... actually I feel as though their tech support IS just a wall, so I have contacted Intel directly and I suggest you to do the same.

Here is their support request page: https://customercare.intel.com/

I selected networking products and then "Intel® DSL6340 Thunderbolt™ 3 Controller."

Pretty sure that is the controller in question (there are actually 3 iterations at this time). 
From Wikipedia: "uses a PCIe 3.0 ×4 link to provide one Thunderbolt 3 port (DSL6340)"
From Gigabyte: "The Intel® USB 3.1 controller utilizes 4 PCIe Gen3 lanes."
^This also may explain why the Bus # varies among us... depending on what PCIe lanes are already occupied by other devices?

Will update with any developments.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 10:49:11 pm by Leppermessiah »

joevt

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 08:37:43 am »
My Details window shows the same info as elc00l, but Security Level is (SL0).