Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z97M-D3H with new I5 5675C - Artifacts, freezing and reboot

dittz

Hello.
I was using a Pentium G3220 as a backup since my I5 4440 died after 1 month of using. Today I bought this new I5 5675C to use with my GIGABYTE Z97M-D3H.
First I updated the bios to the latest version (F8), which support Intel 5gen processors as stated on Gigabyte's web site. I booted using the IGP (Iris 6200) and weird things started to happen. As I'm a Linux user, sometimes I was able to see the Login screen, just before it became all full of artifacts and the computer froze. Sometimes I was able to login and use the computer for no more than two minutes before it happened. Less frequently, the machine would just restart when the login screen was about to show up. This is what happens when the artifacts show up an the system freezes:

I have cleared the BIOS, took everything off and assembled it all again, tried booting with a new Ubuntu Live CD and no luck. I reverted back to the Pentium G3220 and I'm able to use it's IGP, so I discarded any problems with the motherboard's DVI/HDMI output. Everything single part of my system works with the G3220, I only have problems when trying to use my new 5675C.

My current system is as follows:
Gigabyte Z97M-D3H
32gb (4x8gb) DDR3 Kingston HyperX Beast KHX16C9T3K2/16x

I noticed that the problem doesn`t happen when I`m using only 16gb RAM (only two of my four 8gb modules). I read somewhere that this Broadwell CPUs are made to be used with DDR3 1.35v RAM, while all my modules
are 1600mhz 1.5v. However, a review on tomshardware states that they were able to run with DDR3 1.5v modules:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-5775c-i5-5675c-broadwell,4169.html

So the system runs rock solid with only two 1.5v modules, but when I`m using four of them the troubles appear!

I tried playing around with the BIOS and activated XMP with Profile 1. I lowered the voltage to 1.2v and raised timings by a considerable margin (now running enormous 14-14-14-34!!!). This seems to have increased stability by a lot, since I was able to install ubuntu and now write this message with my four modules in use!

Anyone has been through this or has any clues? I don't really want to keep using high timings like this.
Thank you all in advance!