Official GIGABYTE Forum

So far not impressed with the G1 Gaming Z170X new Skylake build.

Baron

Having spent over £3,000 on complete brand new kit, I am feeling disappointed, so get ready for a little rant  :D.
Using my 'old' X58 PC it is a joy to use, but I can't keep it as I promised it to No.2 son when I had finished building this one.

1. When booting up (I have two monitors, a regular 24" Dell and the (R/H) main Dell 27" with G-Sync) the 27" will not display unless I press one of the buttons to light it up, and then all my icons go to that screen instead of the 24" one, so I have to rearrange them. But sometimes it will boot to both screens, and the icons are where they should be on the 2nd (L/H) screen.

2. Regularly I will just be surfing, reading emails or trying to play World of Tanks, and the PC will just shut down instantly and then spend quite a few seconds starting, stopping, starting, stopping etc. until it will finally boot up.
Of course this is really very annoying because I never know when it will just shut down, so whilst doing something I live in fear of it just shutting down... :D

3. I have Windows 7 on one SSD, and Windows 10 on another. It happens on whichever SSD I boot up.
I use Win 7 because some sites won't work with Edge, only lower versions of I.E, and also won't work on Chrome.

4. I don't think it is to do with using SSD's, because I do have Win 7 installed on a WD 500GB Black drive, and it happens using that too - emergency back up drive  ;D.

5. The two USB 2.0 ports on top of the case don't work, but the USB 3.0 ones do.

The system consists of:

Phankteks Enthoo Primo case.
Corsair AX860i.
Gigabyte G1 Gaming Z170X motherboard.
Intel 6700K cpu - stock speeds.
Corsair 2 x 8GB LPX Vengeance memory.
EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX 2.9 + FTW.
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - Win 10
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - cloned copy of Win 10.
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Win 7.
WD Black 500GB - copy of Win 7.
LG Optical DVD drive. Needed since sometimes I can't get it to boot from my Corsair Slider USB 3.0 64GB to install Windows.
WD Elements 2TB USB 3.0 drive.
Plus the other bits.

I think others have had the problem of the PC shutting down and trying to restart.

I have flashed the BIOS to the latest F7 hoping that might help, but it hasn't - think the previous BIOS was F7j.

Is it just me, or has anyone else experience these sort of problems with their Z170 chipset boards ?

I am just a bit miffed that I can't just settle down and enjoy this new build knowing that any minute it could just crap out on me and try to restart.

Thank you for viewing, if you got this far that is.... 8)

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:59:01 am by Baron »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: So far not impressed with the G1 Gaming Z170X new Skylake build.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 12:36:46 pm »
Have you tried to run just on-board video to see if it is the video card. Plus what speed is the memory any thing over 2133 might be giving you a problem.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Baron

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 03:48:51 pm »
Nope, not tried just running onboard video. I could try that.
Memory is 21333Mhz running stock speeds.
I was advised (somwhere) not to fit higher speeds than that to try to avoid problems.
I have used the Windows memory checker, and that showed no problems.
(it shut down on me suddenly whilst I was typing this.... ::))

Also annoying is that when shut down and I add another SSD card, it will just do the re-start shuffle for 30 seconds or so before finally booting up.

Oh happy days.... ;D

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 02:08:28 pm »
Baron,
Have a look at the System Event Viewer...  please share with us what you see there.
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

Baron

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 07:32:22 pm »
I would mate, but now the PC just won't boot at all into the BIOS, or the OS.

It was generally fine yesterday, when I installed a Corsair Neutron XT 480GB using the install CD, and all went fine, WU worked just fine, so that it was all updated. So happiness achieved I shut down for the night.

This morning it booted up ok, and then shut down to attach the Win 10 Samsung ssd, and it just went into its instant shut down, restart, shut down, restart routine, eventually started to boot up, and eventually failed, and now won't boot up to the BIOS.

I have removed the Corsair 115i AIO cooler, cleaned the cpu and cooler base, applied new thermal paste to the cpu, and re-assembled.

Removed one stick of RAM. Swapped the two sticks around, and are in slots 2 + 4.

Removed the GFX card and reseated it into the slot and the power cables.
I can't try out onboard gfx, because it is disabled in the BIOS, and of course I can't get into the BIOS to change it.

Attached two new DP cables to the monitors, then removed one and replaced with DVI-D cable.
Because originally I had trouble until I removed the HDMI cable and replaced it with a DVD-I cable as the screen was black, and no display. Just using one monitor at the time.

I even called in a mobile 'puter fix it man, costing me £30 and he couldn't get it running either.

We have ( rightly or wrongly) come to the conclusion that it could well be the motherboard that is stuffed.

So that is my sad tale of woe as I am £30 down and a non-functional computer.

On the bright side, my 8 year old X58 system still works like a dream.... ;D

I can't think of any other tests to try out, but will have another fiddle over the weekend, and if not, I will contact Overclockers.UK to see what they have to say.

Sorry for late reply, as I have been a little bit busy today....

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 07:57:56 pm »
Hello,

Don't connect any of the SSD drives + Remove the GFX Card.
Clear the CMOS by removing the battery and leave it like that unplugged from the PSU / mains for a while.
This should enable your default settings / iGPU, then try again.

If it does not turn on with the minimum set of components after the CMOS reset then you need to start replacing parts.
My PC is evolving

Baron

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 12:10:23 pm »
Many thanks for taking the time to reply - appreciated.

I will try that fix and see what happens.

Thank you, and will report back later.  :D