Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-170X-GAMING 7: Missing BIOS features/Manual entries for new ones

Quitis

I'm running F7 bios, was previously using F6. This issue applies to both.

In the manual, section 2-6 Peripherals, it says the BIOS is supposed to have an NVMe configuration section. I have a SAMSUNG 951 NVMe 128mb SSD installed in M2H_32G slot but this doesn't show up for me in the BIOS on either version.

In the BIOS under BIOS Features there is a MOUSE option with settings from 1/4 to 5. No explanation of what this is for in the manual.

In the BIOS under Peripherals there is an Intel Thunderbolt Configuration section. No explanation of this or any of the options inside in the manual.

I've checked the downloaded manuals for updates but none of them are any different than the one that came with my motherboard. If anyone knows why i'm missing one feature, or what the two new features are for i'd love to learn more about it.

Incidently, under the Peripherals section, OffBoard SATA controller configuration is supposed to display information on your M.2 PCIe SSD if installed, which it does. Since the NVMe Configuration pretty much does the same thing that may be why it was taken out.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
It is on page 62 "NVMe Configuration" If you try to install windows on it you have install a driver first before windows will see it.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Quitis

I said it was missing in the BIOS, not the manual. Its clearly already in the manual. And btw, if the Windows 8/10 setting is set to Windows 8 or 10 and you're installing windows 8.1 or 10, you don't need to do anything to get windows to see the NVMe drive during install. Only windows 7 folks need fancy drivers if they want to boot off it.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
I said it was missing in the BIOS, not the manual. Its clearly already in the manual. And btw, if the Windows 8/10 setting is set to Windows 8 or 10 and you're installing windows 8.1 or 10, you don't need to do anything to get windows to see the NVMe drive during install. Only windows 7 folks need fancy drivers if they want to boot off it.

Quitis,
No one is disputing missing descriptions between the BIOS rev's and documentation, but there are a long list of folks who could not get windows 8/10 installed to NVMe without supplying a storage controller driver F6 method during the install.  Ya, we all know this is suppose to be native, but that hasn't been peoples experience thus far. Nice if it has finally changed.  I'd contact Gigabyte support directly in order to get explanation/descriptions for the features missing in the documentation.  Great if you could let others know what you find out.   
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

sygnus21

Re: GA-170X-GAMING 7: Missing BIOS features/Manual entries for new ones
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 08:14:01 pm »

Quitis,
No one is disputing missing descriptions between the BIOS rev's and documentation, but there are a long list of folks who could not get windows 8/10 installed to NVMe without supplying a storage controller driver F6 method during the install.  Ya, we all know this is suppose to be native, but that hasn't been peoples experience thus far. Nice if it has finally changed.  I'd contact Gigabyte support directly in order to get explanation/descriptions for the features missing in the documentation.  Great if you could let others know what you find out.   

Just FYI...

I just built (a day ago) a Skylake system with a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming GT motherboard (BIOS upgraded to F7b), 32gig of RAM, i7-6700K, and a Samsung 950 Pro.

The only drive I had installed at time of Windows 10 install was my brand new unformatted Samsung 950 Pro. Anyway I was able to clean install Windows 10 on the drive without any issue or other drivers installed.  In short, I didn't any "storage controller drivers" to get Windows 10 to install.  The board simply saw the drive and allowed Windows to be installed on it. Perhaps this is unique to Windows 8/10 operating systems.

Anyway I too can confirm the board's menu does not appear to match either the current F6 or F7b BIOS settings/layout.  It's a bit confusing at times to say the least.

BTW I have a current issue now where I can't enable Secure Boot, because my Sapphire Tri-X R9 Fury doesn't "properly" support UEFI, even though the BIOS and Sapphire says it does!?!?!?!.  Bottom line is in order to get secure boot working, you need to disable CSM; however disabling CSM leaves the system in a non boot situation as the R9 Fury simply quits working... no video output.  Here's a link on the issue here: https://www.sapphireforum.com/showthread.php?34123-R9-Fury-Tri-X-won-t-work-with-CSM-disabled

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 10:17:07 pm »
Why do you want to use Secure Boot?
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

sygnus21

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 06:41:01 am »
Why do you want to use Secure Boot?

It's more about things working the way they should, or as intended. I also like the added security it brings. Your mileage my vary.

Peace  8)