« on: May 30, 2016, 07:41:21 am »
Specs:

Cpu: i5-4670k
Gpu: EVGA gtx 770
Psu: EVGA g1 650w
Ram: 2x4GB adata 100MHz
Mb: GA-Z87X-UD3H (Rev 1.1)

This has been frustrating me for hours.
Yesterday I disabled a feature I turned on (IIS) and windows asked me to restart. I agree, and my computer shuts down, then goes to turn on, nothing. Fans spin for less than a second and the debug led blinks ever so slightly, then it shuts off. No display at all.

My first thought was to clear cmos. Didn't help.

Next I disconnected everything but the essentials (cpu, psu), still nothing. Tried my brothers cpu (i5-4460), nothing.

Tried the other bios, same thing.

Tried different known-working dimms, in every slot. Nothing.

So I decide to let it boot loop for a while out of desperation.

Lo and behold! A screen asking me to load defaults or enter bios. I choose load optimized defaults, goes into a boot-loop.

Clear cmos again, many boot loops later I get the same thing. Enter bios, save & exit, and it boots into windows. At this point I was so happy that I got into windows, I ignored the problem for a while, then checked that my system was stable with p95.

Accidentally shut down, still boot looping. So I eventually get into windows again, I thought I'll try to update the bios as a last attempt. I downloaded F8 (F10b was a beta, I don't need that. F9 required efiflash and I didn't want to figure that out.)

Successfully updated the bios, reboots and it's still boot looping. Only difference, is now I can't get into the bios at all. Rarely, it will manage to stay on, go through the debug leds, but shuts down at 'db'.
No matter how many times I disconnect the power and clear cmos, it will not boot.

Some things to note: my cpu was overclocked (4.5GHz 1.25v, then 4.4GHz due to 1 program being picky), but that didn't appear to be relevant to the issue (was stable with defaults). I have been having a few stability issues with this board in the past (bus clock not being stable, drops as low as 90.xx MHz).

At this point I do not care if it is completely fixed, I just need to get into windows for now to complete some work and order a new board. Any help is appreciated.

Posting from mobile, sorry for poor/no formatting.

(I am US but did not see a relevant forum)

Re: GA-Z87X-UD3H boot loop (no bios)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 12:51:08 pm »
Hello,

Check your manual for the BIOS_SW switch and SB Switch.

Code DB = BIOS update failed.

On your board top right corner you will see the SW_SWITCH, Set this to position 2.
Check the SB Switch, it should be in position 1

This will allow you to boot the board from the secondary BIOS chip.

Do this when the board is completely powered off and as a note, never flash a board which is unstable.

Out of interest, what RAM are you using / part number / spec on the sticker?

« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 12:51:44 pm by ElectroStingz »
My PC is evolving

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 01:52:23 pm »
Specs:

This has been frustrating me for hours.
Yesterday I disabled a feature I turned on (IIS) and windows asked me to restart. I agree, and my computer shuts down, then goes to turn on, nothing. Fans spin for less than a second and the debug led blinks ever so slightly, then it shuts off. No display at all.

I'm not aware of any feature in IIS that would keep the system from being able to POST.  Agree with ElectroStingz, you've suffered another type of problem, corruption or failure.
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 05:12:39 pm »
Hello,

Check your manual for the BIOS_SW switch and SB Switch.

Code DB = BIOS update failed.

On your board top right corner you will see the SW_SWITCH, Set this to position 2.
Check the SB Switch, it should be in position 1

This will allow you to boot the board from the secondary BIOS chip.

Do this when the board is completely powered off and as a note, never flash a board which is unstable.

Out of interest, what RAM are you using / part number / spec on the sticker?

Okay, after leaving it boot loop all night (probably not a good idea) it managed to boot into windows at some point. For now, I am going to leave my computer on until my new motherboard arrives, then I will try to switch bioses. Please note, this did not help me before, it produced the same effect. Updating my BIOS was done as a last attempt, as I did not see any other option.

My ram is Adata XPG 1.0 (AX3U1600GC4G9-2G) 1600MHz(cl9) 1.5v