Official GIGABYTE Forum

Any changes to my ga x99 sli bios result in a boot fail

Any changes to my ga x99 sli bios result in a boot fail
« on: April 09, 2016, 08:23:31 pm »
 So let me begin, I am new to the gigabyte forums, in fact this is my very 1st topic. I am kind of desperate at this point as nothing seems to help my situation. The problem is this...About a month ago I built a new computer, my very first one in fact. Everything runs great except for the part where I can't enable the xmp profile, or over clock the cpu. Actually I can't make any changed in the bios without getting a boot fail. I have the latest bios from the tweak town site installed(f21c). I did have the f21a from gigabyte, but when it didn't help things I changed it. BTW this is my computer...

WIN - 10 64(upgraded from win 7/64)
CPU - i7 5930k
CPU COOLING - corsair h110i gtx
RAM - f4-3200c16q - 16grkd x2(32gb)
MOBO - ga x99 sli
GPU - asus gtx 980 strix sli
PSU - evga 1000g
CASE - corsair obsidian 750d

The thing I find really strange is how I can overclock the cpu to 4.1 using easy tune with just the click of a button, but when I try to do it manually from the bios I get a boot failure.

As far as the xmp profile goes I should note that I have returned my original ram the g skill trident z 3200, as it was not on the gigabyte xmp supported list. My current ram is on that list, but I can't get it to work either.
 I have tried raising the s.a voltage by 0.20 - 0.25. And also raising the DRAM voltage by 0.10(as suggested by tom's hardware site). Neither helped!

I would think I have a dud board except for the fact that everything works as smooth as butter on optimal settings. And that's really a great thing except for the fact that I paid extra for 3200mhz ram that is running @ 2133mhz, and also paid a lot for my cpu, and to have the option to overclock it. The only thing I really skimped on is the motherboard, and the only reason I did that was because the computer guy at Canada Computers(where I bought all my stuff) recommended it. I told him I was willing to pay up to $1000cdn for a motherboard to go with the i7 5930k and to point me to the best one. He told me that it wasn't necessary. That the ga x99 sli was just as good as any of the higher priced premium boards, and at a fraction of the price. He went on to tell me how they hardly ever got returns, or complaints on this board.
 I was having a hard time wrapping my mind around this as I fully expected a sales rep at a computer store to try selling me something much more expensive then I was willing to pay. At least that had been my experience in the past! So I took him at his word, and got the ga x99 sli. Did I make a mistake? I don't know. Do I need to exchange it? Tell me please. Have I just not enabled some sort of option in the bios perhaps, something that allows you to make changes? That's kind of what it feels like, although I have never heard of this option, and I have looked pretty darn hard.

Really guys any advise will be greatly appreciated as I am almost at the end of my rope here.

Re: Any changes to my ga x99 sli bios result in a boot fail
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 05:37:06 am »
I figured it out and all is right in the world! For some reason having external hard drives attached during startup effected things. By unhooking the usb devices I was able to successfully enable the xmp profile and oc the cpu.