Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z170X- Gaming 7

GA-Z170X- Gaming 7
« on: June 09, 2016, 04:18:20 am »
I have a question regarding one of my PCIe x16 slots of my motherboard. When ever I have my GPU in the top slot on my motherboard, my computer boots into windows then it black screens, then it freezes and that makes my computer unresponsive. I then move the card into the middle slot and it works perfectly fine. Could that slot be messed up or what could cause that? My GPU is a 980ti and the motherboard is a Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7 with a 6700k.

joevt

Re: GA-Z170X- Gaming 7
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 11:15:38 am »
4 possibilities

1) the slot is bad.
2) the graphics card is bad. The middle slot is only x8, so maybe x8 of the graphics card is bad.
3) the drivers are bad.
4) overclock is bad.

For 1 and 2, try a different graphics card in each slot. For 3, try a program like Driver Genius Professional or Driver Support to update your drivers. For 4, try non-overclocked speeds for CPU and RAM.

I have the same motherboard and CPU with a Titan X in the first x16 slot (closest to CPU) working fine.

sygnus21

Re: GA-Z170X- Gaming 7
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 03:06:21 pm »
I have a question regarding one of my PCIe x16 slots of my motherboard. When ever I have my GPU in the top slot on my motherboard, my computer boots into windows then it black screens, then it freezes and that makes my computer unresponsive. I then move the card into the middle slot and it works perfectly fine. Could that slot be messed up or what could cause that? My GPU is a 980ti and the motherboard is a Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7 with a 6700k.

Double check the BIOS and under the Peripherals tab look at Initial Display Output and make sure it is set to PCIe Slot 1.  If that's true, you "may" have a bad board needing replacement. I say that because you say the card works good in "the middle" slot.

Let us know.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 03:09:11 pm by sygnus21 »