Official GIGABYTE Forum

X99P-SLI - Booting without video

ymmv

X99P-SLI - Booting without video
« on: June 27, 2016, 01:58:19 pm »
I recently built a new PC with a Gigabyte X99P-SLI, a Broadwell-E 6900K, a Noctua cooler and an EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC graphics card. I'd originally installed the new graphics card in the first PCIe x16 slot, but I changed my mind when I noticed that the Noctua CPU cooler was almost touching the backplate of the graphics card. So I moved the graphics card to the second PCIe x16 slot (PCIE_2) and configured the BIOS option "Initial Display Output" to "PCIe 2 Slot".

This works ... most of the time. When I boot the PC from a cold start, the PC boots but there's no image. My PC monitor detects an input signal but it's just a black screen. Only when I press the reset button, do I see the BIOS and Windows booting.

Can anyone else confirm this behavior?

ymmv

Re: X99P-SLI - Booting without video
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 10:49:35 pm »
I thought this problem had gone away, I didn't have any problems in the past week, but it reappeared this evening.It looked like the PC didn't actually boot properly into Windows, because the keyboard/mouse lights were off and the PC turned off imediately when I hit the power on/off button.  I had to turn off and hard reset the PC numerous before I saw the BIOS screen and Windows loaded.

Once Windows loads, I don't see anything wrong with my system. Everything works properly, I can play games, run stress tests, no problems at all. But once in a while there's something odd going that stops the system from booting properly.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? It's a brand new system: GA-X99P-SLI (F22 BIOS) with Broadwell-E Core i7 6900K CPU + EVGA GTX 1080 card + Samsung M2 SSD Boot drive.

ymmv

Re: X99P-SLI - Booting without video
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 12:35:16 pm »
Just wondering - what's the point of an official Gigabyte forum when no one from Gigabyte answers any question? Are the problems reported here logged and reported to the developers writing the BIOS code? Is there any use posting here at all?