Official GIGABYTE Forum

How do i enable Thunderbolt add on card in the new F22 BIOS?

Hey guys

Ive been having some issues with my PC and so i reset the bios via removing the cmos battery, and i also updated to the latest bios release.

I use a thunderbolt addon card (gigabyte) for my audio, and now this card isnt working / being picked up.

I assume the logical cause is that the bios reset defaulted the thunderbolt settings in the bios, however the manuals all relate to the old bios and not the new options, so I cant find a way to re enable the thunderbolt?

Any help here as to where i should be looking?

Cheers!

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: How do i enable Thunderbolt add on card in the new F22 BIOS?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 02:59:21 am »
We might be able help more but what board are you using?  ;D
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 10:56:50 am »
We might be able help more but what board are you using?  ;D

my bad its an X99 SLI board using the thudnerbolt addon card

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 02:08:21 am »
anyone able to offer some insight? im really screwed here with this bios update!

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 12:42:29 am »
Bump!  ;D

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 08:47:26 pm »
Have you try to turn off the off audio controller and set the PCIe Slot Configuration to enabled. Other then that I don't know what to tell you. There is nothing in the book that really talks about Thunderbolt. Other on page 33 and that is not very much.

Plus one other thing is F20 & 22 were only for mostly the new CPU. You might try support and you really can't go back to a older bios by what they say. Sorry I haven't really got into the Thunderbolt add-in card.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

c4103

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 04:13:37 pm »
I have this issue too and I'm pretty furious about it  >:(.  I need thunderbolt 2 support for my audio interface in my recording studio.  This past weekend I upgraded my PC and chose the Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming-5P because it is listed as compatible on the product page here:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5210#ov

The patch notes for the BIOS updates in question DO NOT say that Thunderbolt support was removed.  Why is a feature that was working and is advertised that it's supposed to work removed without any kind of warning and no way to flash your BIOS back to the original version?  This is straight up false advertising.

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 05:17:15 pm »
I hope everyone's issues have been resolved since this thread started, it's been awhile. I've just dealt with the same issue on an Gigabyte X99-UD4 motherboard, and I'm also using thunderbolt for an audio interface. My motherboard died, showed no signs of life. Turns out the BIOS chip failed, so it was repaired under warranty by Gigabyte. Unfortunately the BIOS version I was using at the time was either F12 or F13b, and when it came back it had been updated to F22. My system wouldn't recognize the GC-Thunderbolt 2 add-in card in either slots PCIE_2 or 3, nothing else had changed and the software was still properly installed.

I was successfully able to downgrade the BIOS to F20 since I can't go past that version, and now it works fine. Perhaps when the motherboard re-detects peripherals after a BIOS update, it provides the option to enable and disable?

c4103

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 10:39:15 pm »
No, my problems have NOT been resolved.  I dual boot Windows / Linux and have a thunderbolt audio interface.  F20 BIOS has memory allocation bugs that cause my linux distro not to boot.  There are severe problems with UEFI in that build.  Installing F22 fixes those issues, but removes thunderbolt support.  USB audio devices with more than 2 inputs / outputs have issues with this motherboard in Windows because the host controller driver does not respond when you tell it you need more than one clock cycle to send a frame of data.  I called Gigabyte and their official advice is to install F20 because they removed thunderbolt support in F22.  I'm f***ing furious.