Official GIGABYTE Forum

X99 SLI v1.0 new build boot loop

X99 SLI v1.0 new build boot loop
« on: August 06, 2016, 12:20:56 am »
So I've asked this question alot, and I've recieved different answers from different people. Mostly vague answers.

This is my build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/P4VzNN

I have everything EXCEPT my GPU. it will come tuesday. I was told by a gigabyte representative that my motherboard should turn on and stay on without anything except the cpu fan, and PS plugged into it. This has never been the case with my motherboard. Without anything except the above mentioned plugged in it turns on for maybe a few seconds then turns off.

When i have only a CPU installed, same thing. But when i add one stick of RAM it stays on for much longer. about 10 seconds. then shuts off.

I know there is a Q-Flash Plus feature. I have a broadwell-e CPU and i know the BIOS that is on the motherboard is not up to date. The videos I've watched where the Gigabyte rep. does the Q-Flash states that it will work without CPU or Memory installed. But when he does it, he leaves the GPU installed.

Now I've been talking to Gigabyte support via a support ticket, and I've explained that i dont have a GPU installed at all. But he SWEARS that it shouldn't loop.

Ok i took it a step further. Yesterday for Tech Talk with Jayztwocents (live youtube stream) I donated 5 dollars, and asked him:
Is it normal for my computer with the X99 SLI gigabyte motherboard, to boot loop without a GPU.

His answer (and he has the gaming edition of Gigabyte's board and he has used the Q-Flash Function) was since X99 chips do not have on board graphics, there would be no post to BIOS. The motherboard is looping due to the fact that it is missing necessary hardware to boot. So yes, no display adapter, computer will loop.

My GPU is coming monday and i really just need reassurance from somebody that actually knows first hand. I want to believe Jay because he has just about every computer component known to man and actually reviews computer components. But the gigabyte rep either doesnt speak english very well and ignored my issue and my current set up, or what he is saying is true, and i dont need anything except case fan and PS to keep my motherboard on without loop.

Thank you guys for taking the time to read all of that and answer my question.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 12:22:20 am by Timmmaaahhh »

Re: X99 SLI v1.0 new build boot loop
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 06:14:19 pm »
I had to send my X99P-SLI in for RMA to get BIOS flashed to at least F22. BTW F23 just came out. The Older BIOS do not support Broadwell-E CPUs and Q Flash does not work on these motherboards. Design fail. If you have access to older Haswell-E CPU you can use that to get booted and and flash the BIOS to newest version.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: X99 SLI v1.0 new build boot loop
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 04:26:31 pm »
I would say that yes with out the GPU you might get a loop. The newer boards today are completely different from old boards. Like what Jayztwocents said is maybe true with all new boards. It is looking for hardware and if it isn't there you could get that.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.