Official GIGABYTE Forum

GTX 1080 Xtreme front port VR issue

GTX 1080 Xtreme front port VR issue
« on: August 18, 2016, 02:38:35 am »
I picked this card up to use with my Oculus Rift. So far I've been having some issues. I can get my Rift to display on the rear HDMI port, but I can't seem to get it to work in the "front" ports. I can connect another monitor to the front port and it works fine, but the Rift just won't give a picture (I can hear the sound).

I run triple screens normally, and even can hook a TV up to a front port at the same time without an issue, but even if I disconnect all but 2 monitors I still can't get the Rift to work in the front port.

I sent a question to tech support, but haven't heard back from them yet.

I'd appreciate any help, or ideas.

Running Windows 10, i7 970, 24GB RAM, GTX 1080 GV-1080Xtreme-8GD-PP

Re: GTX 1080 Xtreme front port VR issue
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 05:39:02 am »
Today I plugged the Rift into the front HDMI port directly (bypassing the cables that run to the 5.25 bay). Still no luck. I can plug into the rear HDMI port and I get video through the rift, but not the front ones.

Otreum

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 10:13:01 am »
I am having the exact same issues. I have also lodged a support ticket with Gigabyte on the issue and am awaiting a response.

I also contacted them via facebook, where they have responded, but I don't think it's the place to look for support.

I also posted on the Oculus forums, but no response from Oculus.
There was another person who posted a thread there too, but seems to be left in the dark.

These are the things I have tried:

- Plugged Oculus into graphics card to eliminate the possibility that the graphics card, and Oculus Display is at fault.
RESULT: Oculus Rift works, no fault found.

- Plugged in USB 2 and USB 3 devices into front of VR-Link to see if USB slots were not functioning correctly.
RESULT: Devices work, no fault found.

- Plugged monitor into VR Link front HDMI ports to eliminate possibility of faulty HDMI ports.
RESULT: Monitor worked in both ports, no fault found.

- Plugged monitor into VR Link front HDMI ports at the same time as plugging Oculus Rift into rear HDMI port, to see if there was some conflict.
RESULT: Both monitor and Oculus Rift worked, no faults found.

- Downloaded older Nvidia driver (368.69) to see if it was a driver problem.
RESULT: Made no difference.

- Uninstalled Oculus Rift software and drivers, and reinstalled them.
RESULT: Oculus set-up detected the Oculus Rift, Sensor, Xbox one controller, however could not easily finish Oculus set-up as no video output on Oculus Rift while plugged into VR-Link.
Needed to finish set up by plugging Oculus into rear HDMI ports of graphics card.

- Removed ASUS ASMedia USB drivers, and replaced with following controllers:
ASMedia USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)
AND
Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0(Microsoft)
RESULT: Made no difference.

--------------------

THINGS I WILL MOST LIKELY TRY NEXT ARE:

- Put VR Link into another computer to test it on a gigabyte motherboard.

- Contact PC Case Gear (Place I purchased from) and see if they have had any similar complaints from other customers.

- Try Oculus DK1 and Oculus DK2 and see if they work.

I really hope to get to the bottom of this, it is very frustrating, considering I bought this for the VR-Link, over other brands, simply for the convenience of plugging the Oculus into the front of the computer, rather than the rear.

Otreum

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 10:32:34 am »
UPDATE:

I have contacted Gigabyte support and they have been able to replicate the problem. Here is their response:

Dear Otreum,

We appreciate your information. Currently, we are still working on no display output from Oculus when connected to VR Link front panel. Meanwhile, we had verified two Oculus and one can duplicate the issue while the other cannot (Let's say A works well while B does not work). We had contacted Oculus for support and they suggested us change the cable from Oculus. After we remove the cable from Oculus A and use it on Oculus B, Oculus B started receiving signals.

Our engineer will keep searching for solution on this matter and in the meantime, we suggest you report this matter to Oculus as well and see how they can support on this matter.

Regards,

GIGABYTE

I did as suggested, and contacted Oculus Support, the response was very dismissive, palming the problem off to Gigabyte when it is well known that Oculus have issues with cables:

Hello Otreum,

Thank you for reaching out to us, there is nothing we at Oculus can do about that VR Link. You've confirmed through troubleshooting the Rift is working directly on the graphics card. You will need to work with the manufacturer, as it is an issue with the VR Link itself.

Best regards,

Ryder
Oculus Support

I also wish to note that I have tried a HTC Vive in the VR Link device, and it works absolutely fine without any problems, so the problem seems to be isolated to Oculus.

I am awaiting my friend to return my Oculus DK2 so that I can try it out. I will keep posting updates in relation to the issue.