Official GIGABYTE Forum

After using WOL computer won't shut down

manekk

After using WOL computer won't shut down
« on: August 24, 2016, 10:21:16 pm »
Hi

I have recently build a new PC with Gigabyte motherboard and for the first time in my life encountered such unusual problem. After waking up the PC by sending the magic pocket the computer wakes from power off, but it doesn't want to shut down anymore, instead after 3 seconds of shut down it restarts. The only thing to make it able to shut down correctly is to use the 3 seconds when it's down to switch off the power supply. This only works though until the next WOL, and then the problem repeats.

Below is the build overview:
1. Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
2. Processor - Intel i5-6600k
3. Memory - Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
4. Graphics card - MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X
5. Disk drive - Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD
6. Power supply - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+

Operating system - Windows 10 x64
The BIOS is the newest revision - F8p.
The cable is connected to the Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller.
The only changes made in BIOS are Ultra Fast Boot, Platform Power Management and enabling XMPS.
All the drivers are updated to the newest versions.
Wake On Lan is enabled in BIOS.

Below are steps I have already taken:
1. Reached out to Gigabyte support.
Well, that didn't go well - an anonymous engineer, who didn't bother to introduce himself asked me if I have the newest BIOS, drivers, which I do. I was also recommended to unplug the graphics card and check whether the issue still appears with the onboard card in use (still cant't figure out why this suggestion, but well, I'm not an expert, so I did it). After submitting my response to those steps and reporting lack of success - 2 days of silence.
2. I have tried to WOL through Intel Controller, no success at all. For some reason the option to enable Wake-On-Lan in the specific Intel Ethernet Network Connection BIOS option is not accessible, and choosing the right setting in Windows doesn't work. Which is ok, because I'd rather use Killer for my cable connection.
3. I have ensured to switch on in Device Manager-> Network Adapters-> Killer-> Power Management the options "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", "allow this device to wake computer", "only allow a magic packet to wake the computer". Funnily deselecting the first options solves the restart instead shut down problem, but it also kills the WOL ability. No success.
4. I have played with the options in Device Manager-> Network Adapters-> Killer-> Advanced, trying all the combinations of enabled/disabled "shutdown wake up", "wake on magic packet", "wake on pattern match" - no success.
5. I have investigated in the command prompt powercfg -lastwake. It shows nothing at all.
6. I have reinstalled the Killer driver, no success.
7. Tried to do it with BIOS setting set to default. No success.
8. Disabled fast startup in Windows Power Options. No success.

I have spent hours reading forums and found people suffering from the same problem, tried their solutions (all above), but couldn't fix it.
Can you please help me and suggest what else can I do?
Thank you in advance

Re: After using WOL computer won't shut down
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 12:38:46 pm »
Hello,

Does it do the same thing if you put the computer to sleep / try to wake up?

The issue is probably not with the WoL feature but the way the motherboard BIOS is initialising the CPU.
There are issues with the SKylake series and low power states / how it sets the Voltages on resuming from a deep power state.

Try setting the CPU voltage manually and see what happens (~1.25v).
And keep the memory at 2133Mhz for testing purposes.
My PC is evolving