Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-EX58-Extreme "b2" error code

caroth

GA-EX58-Extreme "b2" error code
« on: March 10, 2009, 01:02:23 am »
Basic system configuration:

Motherboard: GA-EX58-EXTREME (rev. 1.0), BIOS Version: F5
Processor: Intel I7-920 2.66Ghz
Memory: STT DDR3-1600 memory, 6GB (3*2GB)
Power Supply: Zumax 1050 W
Video card: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4870 1GB

Everything worked for about a month.

The system then locked up and when I rebooted, I got no video.

The error code on the motherboard is "b2" (when first powered on it shows a code "c1," then changes to "b2" and stays on "b2." Unfortunately the motherboard manual does not list this particular code.

I have disconnected all cables, except power, to the computer, removed all the cards, reseated the processor, reseated the memory, tried different combinations of two DIMMs instead of usual three, cleared CMOS, removed the CMOS battery and left power unplugged overnight, but the motherboard still goes to "b2" and hangs, so I'm thinking that I have an issue with either the motherboard or processor.

I do not have another motherboard or processor to test with.

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions/information on this "b2" POST error code?

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Christian

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
Re: GA-EX58-Extreme "b2" error code
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 09:12:00 am »
Hi Christian

It may be memory problem. Please install one memory stick only in the DDR3_1 or DDR3_3 and check if your three memory modules are fine or not. Check which voltage your memory should work at and compare it with bios settings if they match.
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

caroth

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 01:07:54 pm »
run3R,

thanks for your suggestion.

I had tried two sticks at a time in 3_1 and 3_3 and still got the "b2" POST error.

I tried one at a time as you suggested (I tried all sticks, one at a time in both 3_1 and 3_3), but I'm getting the same "b2" POST error.

I can't change any BIOS settings since the POST is getting stuck at the "b2" code and never makes it to the point where it gets to the BIOS.

I did use the CMOS reset switch as well as remove the CMOS battery during previous troubleshooting to no avail.

I had not messed with the voltage settings for the memory or proc at all. Since I built this box only about a month ago, I wanted it to run without overclocking or "fine tuning" for a few months to make sure it was stable. So the memory voltage would have been set to whatever the default was (auto I think).

Since the unit was working fine for about and month and it's unlikely I'd have multiple sticks of memory fail all of a sudden, I don't think it's a memory issue.

Any other suggestions you may have are appreciated.

Thanks!

Christian

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 09:56:49 am »
Hi

Regarding the error code is it actually "b2" or "62"?

please:
- unplug all devices (RAM, VGA, etc.) including HDD and DVD-ROM, only leave CPU, then check the post code
- check your CPU & VGA in other motherboard

ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)