Official GIGABYTE Forum

Does my old Gigabyte motherboard have a fault?

Does my old Gigabyte motherboard have a fault?
« on: September 19, 2016, 03:58:41 pm »
Hi, I have a DIY built desktop using a Gigabyte GA-X38-DS5 iX38 Socket 775 ATX Motherboard.  I've just checked my records and this was purchased in 2008.  Wow!  I thought my rig was only about 5 years old, but it's actually just over 8 years old.  SSD drives have definitely given it a new lease of life and it does just about everything I need!

Anyhow, back on subject.  The build also includes a Gigabyte 8800GT 512MB GDDR3 Dual DVI HDCP HDTV out PCI-E Graphics Card and was powered by a 425W Hiper HPU4S435 PSU.

About 3 months ago, I started to have problems powering up the PC, but this could always be resolved by simply switching off and on the PSU switch.  This then started to get worse and I would have to leave it switched off for 10 minutes before it would power up.  It then got to the stage where I couldn't always guarantee I could get it to power up at all, which is when I purchased a new PSU as I had assumed this was the problem component.

The new PSU is a EVGA SuperNova P2 650 W Platinum Fully Modular.  After booting into Windows 10 for the first time, I got a windows error after about 5 minutes, something about windows recovering from a graphics driver error, then the screen went black.  This happened EVERY time I rebooted the PC, however, I noticed that I no longer needed to turn the PSU switch off and on, like with the previous PSU!  Still, not much good to me if the screen goes black after 5 to 10 minutes!

After researching the issue, I booted into BIOS to check some settings and got distracted.  When I eventually came back to the PC some 20 minutes later it had turned itself off and would not power back on.  Nothing, no sign of life! I assumed the PSU had failed, so I swapped it out for the original "problematic" PSU and got the same - no sign off life.

I then disconnected the components and started attaching them one at a time.  I found that the Gigabyte graphics card was causing the issue, regardless of which PSU I used.

So, I ordered a second hand replacement; a EVGA NVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768mb GDDR3, which was a higher spec. than the original Gigabyte card.  Unfortunately, on arrival I noticed it needed 2 x 6 pin power connectors, which only my new PSU could supply, so I've never been able to test this card with the old PSU.

Anyway, after fitting the new graphics card, the PC began to work again.  So, it's possible the new EVGA PSU fried the graphics card OR that the card was on its way out anyway.

The strange thing is that although the PC works perfectly once it has booted, I still have the unusual starting issue.  After powering down, if I don't flick the PSU switch off, then back on, it won't start and simply bleeps, powers off, starts up, bleeps, powers off, starts up - continuously, until I flick the PSU switch off.  I've now got into the habit of flicking the switch off, then back on as soon as the PC shuts down, so I don't have an issue when starting up the next time.

I was able to borrow a VERY old WinFast PX6600 GT TDH 128mb card from a friend and tried this also, but get EXACTLY the same behavior, even when I use this old card with the old PSU.

So, it's seems like the common denominator is the motherboard as I've now tried two PSU's and two graphics cards.

Does this sound like the kind of fault that could be caused by my Gigabyte motherboard?

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to give you the full picture of the issue.

Thanks in advance.
Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7.  Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor.  G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4 3200 C14 4 x 8GB. NZXT Phantom 630 (Gunmetal) ATX Full Tower Case. NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler. EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ATX PSU.  Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 SSD.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: Does my old Gigabyte motherboard have a fault?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 09:09:13 pm »
I'd start by resetting my BIOS, CLR_CMOS, battery pull, whatever it takes.  Then configure from scratch and start with a clean slate. 

I've got approx 8 Windows 10 machines.  Various brand laptops and a couple of home builds.  2 have GForce cards.  660/970. Both are running the latest version drivers 372.70.  These have proven to be stable for me.  I think all are running the W10 Anniversary update as well.  Had some problems with the Z68 rig initially, but this was caused by IME drivers as this system was upgraded from 7 to 10.  The others were fresh install.

A system this old could be having issues.  Things get old and "tired".  Things that ran cool, start running hot and if you don't have good airflow you could start seeing stability issues.  Can't say with certainty what your problems are.  Have you looked at the System Event Viewer for any problems / error info?  Running SFC / scannow from a elevated command prompt can't hurt either. 

I'd ensure the OS is fully patched and up to date.  I'd update my graphics driver to latest.  Ensure you check that little box that performs a "clean" install.  Don't install beta, just the latest release.  Have any canned air.  Blow the inside of your case out.  Dust holds heat.  Little health check up and preventative maintenance goes a long way.  Hopefully one of these suggestions helps. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 09:50:34 pm by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW