Official GIGABYTE Forum

ga-z68-ud5 b3 3770k, cant overclock!!?

ga-z68-ud5 b3 3770k, cant overclock!!?
« on: September 27, 2016, 06:12:38 pm »
Hey, I ran my board on its f10 bios for many years with a 2500k installed at 4.5 thereabouts, I needed a lil more power and rather than invest the money in a new system i decided to buy the 3770k cpu which is supposed to be supported on my motherboard.

For a while this was fine, running at stock clocks all was well, the problem has arisen since Ive attempted to overclock the cpu. The multiplier is locked at 39 according to the bios regardless of what I do, even this 39 is disputed in windows. Ive confirmed this with speccy and cpuz both showing huge fluctuations in speed occasionally pipping 3.9 but mostly sticking to the 3.5 mark which looks a lot like turbo boost and no over clocks, the only difference being that when I oc as much as I can according to my bios and turn off turbo my cinibench score becomes much lower. yay...

Touch bios doesnt work either though maybe thats a win10 issue, there was no obvious eufi bios for my board that I could find and unlike the many of the z68 mobos my latest bios is F10, I think thats most of the useful info so up next, excessive amounts of context and feels.

I dont wish to be dramatic but I use this computer for everything I do and could barely afford to get the cpu upgrade in the first place, I cant buy another 2500k or 2600k to replace my 3770k with, I cant get my 2500k back and I cant find any z77 motherboards worth their salt or to provide any real features my current board plus a few add in cards does not so im back to here, as gutted as ive ever felt related to bad purchases based on official info.

I figure if there is a bios of a solution im not aware of some of you folks might be able to save me, I ordered an okay board but got woken up today being told they had sold out and offered me a pretty stripped down board with patchy reviews instead, I declined....
Save me from having to get back in touch with them and buying a product I know i dont want please.....

Thanks in advance.

Re: ga-z68-ud5 b3 3770k, cant overclock!!?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 09:16:48 pm »
Hello,

It could be related to the CPU and BIOS

1) CPU Microcode (this is software within the CPU, also flashable)
2) BIOS ME firmware version (Intel Management Engine, software to control the CPU)

If both are out of date or mis-matched the CPU settings can fail to work, your only option is to try and flash the BIOS again as the latest version, F10 states updates to both.

Whatever options you have when using the Qflash make sure you dont save any old settings and do a full flash, not a quick one. If the option exists to also flash the ME firmware choose it. (sorry its been a while since I last flashed a Gigabyte board).
My PC is evolving

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 09:26:12 pm »
I have already re flashed the f10 bios but can do it again, the f10 still has the 3.9 limitation though does it not?

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 09:32:15 pm »
And thank you for replying, literally the first voice despite multiple forum posts and a support ticket sent on the 24th to give me any feedback, gonna flash bios again now.

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 10:06:36 pm »
I have already re flashed the f10 bios but can do it again, the f10 still has the 3.9 limitation though does it not?

Was this done with the 3770K CPU installed? If so this will not change anything. :(
My PC is evolving

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 10:10:22 pm »
I just reflashed the bios and dont seem to be noticing any changes, had a worrying system hang that caused no small amount of emotion but back where I was pre the flash, multiplier stuck at 39 as a max and still no real benefit observed in cinibench when I did oc to 3.9, speccy and cpuz still reported me being at 3.5 turbo doing its thing to take me above that ofc.
No 4.5ghz no f11 bios bo eufi bios so far as i can find.

As before, thanks for the suggestion.

I flashed the bios pre installing the 3770k and since.

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 11:10:13 pm »
Yeah thats what ive encountered and also some posts saying they wouldnt be releasing a working bios on all boards.
I was hoping someone might have a solution as to this day they state the 3770k as a fully supported chip for my motherboard which for the record is a ga z68 ud5 b3 ver1 running the latest f10 bios, no eufi bios was eventually released despite their claims there would be a bios to fix this issue. ~
Unfortunately I made a purchasing decision based on gigabytes own claims rather than trolling around looking for an issue on google that I couldnt have predicted having which as your and my searches reveal would have been a better more valid system than just looking at the cpu support page, on a motherboard partially touted for its oc ability claiming to support an overclockable cpu this is feeling like patchy support.
I sold my 2500k based on their stating with no caveats that the 3770k was compatible.
Thank you for all of your replies, looks like im back to waiting on their support team..

Sorry for sounding miffed or me being a bit dry, no offence is meant, you have suggested things in complete alignment with my searches/attempts to fix the issue and its just nice to have some feedback and tacit validation for my method regardless of results. taa very much.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 11:12:16 pm by rebus_forever »

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 11:14:35 pm »
I gave you a shield, I assume thats a good thing.  ;D

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 11:25:03 pm »
 :) Thanks.
My PC is evolving

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 03:33:20 am »
Most of the these older boards that came out before the Ivy Bridge CPU's. That they hope doing a bios update would work. Just like the UEFI bios for some of these boards. It didn't really work like they hope it would.

Just look at the Z97 boards with the 5th Generation CPU. A lot of people had problems with that too. The Z68 boards were really not made for the Ivy bridge CPU at first. Did they put everything into the bios so you could OC more likely not.

I run a X99 2011v3 board and yes I can do a update so I can run the newest CPU. Will I more likely not because I feel you are taking a 50/50 chance it will not work. So what I'm getting at is what will be the next step might be a Z77 board.

But you said there is not one out there you like. But you have to look at everything here. Yes you board has a lot of nice features. But it doesn't really support that nice 3.0 video card. Yes your CPU does, but even with that on the board you will not get the full performance out of the card. So just step back and look at everything and I hope you get to were you want to be.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 04:41:55 am »
I appreciate your response but while they continue to claim the cpu to be fully supported It isnt really good enough to leave me at a loss for having bought a cpu they claim is fully supported.
Re the z77 motherboard.
I purchased this GA-Z77X-UD5H after looking through 15+ pages of websites looking for z77 boards, It took hours.
This morning store phoned me up first thing to say it is out of stock, they wont likely get more and then offered me a board that requires a full os install each time you enable/disable the ssd caching which Is a thing I use, I cant face an os install each time something crashes and I wanna set IST (i think its called) up, the board aside from that major gimping factor was bare and poorly reviewed in the wild. 
I really shouldnt have to buy a motherboard but would have been happy to all the while it provided some benefit as Is the cpu should be supported or they shouldnt claim that they do support it, at least not without providing a very clear indicator that you shouldnt waste your money on a k class chip when you buy a motherboard that touts overclocking as a key feature. I choose the board I choose because of the features It advertised, ivy compatibility was one of these factors. should those features not be provided It really shouldnt be the consumers burden.

I accept that being able to compromise is a good thing but me looking for and spending money on a new board is a fairly big compromise in of itself, given the established claim of support by gigabyte, I spent hours looking for a good board and as a fella whos been building computers for everyone i know for about a decade ive some experience at choosing parts, Ive bought a lot of gigabyte boards for myself and others, when I say "what I like" im looking for features I use or aim to use, not like, a picture of a skull on it, :P

Im pretty sure by british law that the term supported should mean exactly that, advertised claims are taken pretty seriously and should be enough to empower a consumer to make a decision, if the fault isnt mine somehow and im still hoping it is and that someone comes up with a clever solution as I would like to continue to be a gigabyte customer.
Anyway, im still waiting for them to respond to a support ticket and it super late so excuse my long rambling over tired replies.
I posted the CPU support page for my board as it felt relevant, I should probably investigate where I stand as a consumer who has been mislead by a false claim into making a purchase and see if trading standards get back to me before gigabyte.......
Thanks for your imput.

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 05:16:47 pm »
Thanks a lot for the suggestion ive been checking back and fourth with ebay and the warrantyless means of buying a board, gigabyte have responded and have provided me with a file for a UEFI bios, currently clearly a usb drive to reformat it for qflash after failing to install from a partition on a hd.
I will update here if I succeed and congratulate gigabyte accordingly.
Thanks for your continued help and sorry again for my late night reply if any of it came off as ungrateful re your previous suggestions.

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 05:22:16 pm »

From my side your previous message disappeared, thanks for the link, shielded you.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 05:23:22 pm »
Yes I remove that post because they were really not the ones you want. But I'll look too some times I come across something. All they show is the GA-Z77X-D3H here in the USA & UK sorry. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 05:24:13 pm by dmdilks »
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.