Official GIGABYTE Forum

Cannot get my Gigabyte TPM (Module) to work with my Gigabyte motherboard

TPM_is_Hell

I have been googling for 5 hours and nothing. So I figured I would ask here and see if I find any answers.

See the attached images. It will help understand my issue.

If anyone with a Gigabyte mobo and a TPM is here and would like to help me, it would mean a lot to me.

I want to use bitlocker on my Windows 7 Ultimate machine, so I bought a TPM for my motherboard. I do not want to use Bitlocker without a TPM because that would require a USB drive to be plugged it every time I turn on my PC, and I am going to lose it for sure. So I bought a TPM from Gigabyte ( GC TPM 2.0 ) and I have been trying to get it to work with my motherboard ever since ( Z97 Gaming 7 ). I should state that I have the latest BIOS Version.

My motherboard has a TPM header and I plugged the GC TPM 2 in there. I went into BIOS -> Peripherals -> Trusted Computing -> Security Device Support and set this option to "enabled".

When I rebooted the computer, I went into BIOS again and when I visited the Trusted Computing Section of the BIOS, instead of letting me set further options for my TPM (like enabling it so that the OS can "see" it ), it only shows the Security Device Support option and under current status it displays "Support disabled" or something like that.

I cannot even set the TPM State to "enabled" in order for windows to recognize it. I have tried Loading Optimized defaults, I have tried clearing the CMOS. Nothing works.

The motherboard knows it has a TPM connected to it (when i take it out the Trusted Computing section dissappears) but it only lets me change the Security Device Support option to "enabled or disabled" and nothing more, as it should.

The Motherboard recognizes the TPM Module because I can enable (in BIOS) the Security Device Support (without the TPM installed, this isn't visible), but on reboot I don't get any new or additional options in BIOS to also enable the TPM itself.

The status of the Trusted Computing remains (in BIOS) on 'SUPPORT TURNED OFF'.

Because of this Windows of course can't use the TPM module.

What's happening?

Tiger

Re: Cannot get my Gigabyte TPM (Module) to work with my Gigabyte motherboard
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 12:46:25 am »
To turn on BitLocker Drive Encryption on an operating system drive

1.Click Start, click Control Panel, click System and Security, and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.

2.Click Turn On BitLocker for the operating system drive. BitLocker will scan your computer to make sure that it meets the BitLocker system requirements. If your computer meets the requirements, BitLocker will inform you of the next steps that need to be taken to turn on BitLocker, such as drive preparation, turning on the TPM, and encrypting the drive.

If your TPM is not initialized, the BitLocker setup wizard will instruct you to remove any CDs, DVDs, or USB drives from the computer and restart the computer to begin the process of turning on the TPM. You will either be prompted to enable the TPM before the operating system boots or in some cases you will need to navigate to the BIOS options and enable the TPM manually. This behavior depends on the BIOS of the computer. After you confirm that you want the TPM enabled, the operating system will start and the Initializing the TPM security hardware progress indicator will be displayed.

One of the items that BitLocker checks is the configuration of the system partition. BitLocker requires a minimum system partition size of 100 MB. However, if you have a system partition size between 101 MB and 299 MB, an error message will be displayed about the Windows Recovery Environment. You may disregard this message and continue with BitLocker setup.

If you encrypt your hard drive with BitLocker drive encryption, the System Reserved partition contains the necessary files for starting your computer. Your computer boots the unencrypted System Reserved partition, and it will decrypt the main encrypted drive and boot the encrypted Windows system.
1) GA-Z97X-Gaming 7, G3258,
2) GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 1.1, FX-8350
3) GA-AM1M-S2P, Sempron 3850 Kabini

Hello TPM_is_hell,

did you manage to get your TPM working? I encounter just the same problem. The steps Tiger mentioned didn't work in my case. BitLocker won't ask if I want my TPM module activated or something similar. Also the windows TPM administration service can't identifiy a TPM module and always results in the same message: "No compatible TPM module found. Make sure you installed a TPM module version 1.2 or higher and you have it enabled in your BIOS". There the problem starts all over again.

Do you have any suggestions?

Forgot to mention my setup:
Motherboard: GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 Rev 1.0 and a GC-TPM2.0 module
Windows 10 Pro

« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 12:29:44 pm by kratsching1 »

I had the same problem (TPM 2.0 module with GA-Z97M-D3H).
Contacted Gigabyte support, turns out the motherboard is not compatible with TPM 2.0 devices - I needed to get a TPM 1.2 device.

autotech

In device manager can you see your TPM.  I found the following from a post on the internet.

I had to get special BIOS from Gigabyte to use it, but it works great. Save yourself some time, if it doesn't work right out of the gate send a support ticket to gigabyte.

Others stated you had to have an earlier model of the TPM to get it to work with newer Gigabyte boards.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA