Official GIGABYTE Forum

I need some help with my pc but im a noob

I need some help with my pc but im a noob
« on: November 18, 2016, 01:03:55 pm »
Last year I purchased a pre build with a GA-B85-HD3 motherboard with an i5-4460 processor, GTX960 2gb, but the power supply that came with it I'm being told its underpowered for the setup as it only has 350w.
So I'm looking to change my case as it looks a bit old and looks a bit cheap, i want to change the power supply to support a gtx970 or a 980 as i want to upgrade but i don't know what to look for when buying psu's and i don't know what case would support the motherboard also.

Any help would be great, thank you!

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: I need some help with my pc but im a noob
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 02:13:33 pm »
Hi there,

really difficult to offer practical advice without knowing your budget but......

Any PC case that will take an ATX sized motherboard will do. These can start quite cheaply (around £20) and can go up to over £200+

When it comes to a PSU I would recommend a good quality one (I use Corsair myself) and don't  go down the path of buying a cheap unit as it will come back and bite you, pretty quickly. Be prepared to pay aound £60 - £100 for a PSU that will give between 550 - 650 Watts which is probably the best range to be looking for with your proposed setup.
Again, depending on budget, there are several options ranging from a standard PSU to one that is fully modular. A fully modular PSU is one that you have separate cables for each item and you only attach those that you need for your particular PC. A semi-modular PSU has the main ATX cables fixed into the unit but peripheral leads for HDD's, GPU(s) etc., that you add as required.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Re: I need some help with my pc but im a noob
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 12:32:24 am »
Thanks for the reply, I can get started on my rebuild now  :)