Official GIGABYTE Forum

Is the GIGABYTE GA-Z97-HD3P any good?

Is the GIGABYTE GA-Z97-HD3P any good?
« on: December 20, 2016, 05:00:53 am »
Hi everyone in Gigabyte wonderland!

Well, our ASRock Z87E-ITX motherboard died a very sudden death.  No chance to even attempt CPR or Heimlich maneuver.  It was similar to a massive coronary.  So sudden, so unexpected, so final, so very, very sad.  We are still mourning its early demise.  We cried so many tears that the mouse, the duck, dodo, Lori, eaglet, the old crab and several birds have fallen into our pool of tears...now we are hoping the CPU chip, the RAM, the PSU will not fall into the pool of tears too..

The ASRock Z87E-ITX motherboard was one of the components on our dedicated security rig.  Now Humpty Dumpty and all the kings men need to put all the pieces together again.

We found a brand new GIGABYTE GA-Z97-HD3P laying around in our storage unit, still sealed in the box, gathering dust.

We are asking for suggestions and comments and advice regarding this GIGABYTE GA-Z97-HD3P.

We would like to set an Intel i7-4770k in the GIGABYTE GA-Z97-HD3P, fire it up, and live happily ever after.

Not sure if this black rabbit will get the job done and get it done well or fall down the well like our last MB.

Need to have this black rabbit running 24/7 for the rest of eternity just like the tea party.

Are there any King or Queen of Hearts that have used this GIGABYTE GA-Z97-HD3P?

Ok, AliceN1derland and the Dormouse are waiting for some good advice...please hurry before we shrink down to nothing!

Looking for that White Knight in shining armor to help us just now...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 05:11:37 am by AliceN1derland »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Is the GIGABYTE GA-Z97-HD3P any good?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 01:20:48 pm »
A motherboard is a motherboard. By Newegg both boards had their problems. Both boards had only 3 eggs out 5. But the good thing is that you can move everything from the Z87 to the Z97. Yes it will run the i7-4770k and on the F2 bios too.

Now will it fit in the case you have and what PSU do you have. The other thing is the old board had WiFi where the Z97 doesn't. On the OS was it a OEM or Retail copy? Was it windows 7 or 10.

It doesn't matter what board you have. It is always a 50/50 chance something is going to go wrong. Been doing a long time and you always cross them fingers every time you push that power for the first.  ;D

Z87 specs: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87E-ITX/?cat=Specifications

Z97 specs: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5179#sp

X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Re: Is the GIGABYTE GA-Z97-HD3P any good?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 04:08:32 am »
A motherboard is a motherboard. By Newegg both boards had their problems. Both boards had only 3 eggs out 5. But the good thing is that you can move everything from the Z87 to the Z97. Yes it will run the i7-4770k and on the F2 bios too.

Now will it fit in the case you have and what PSU do you have. The other thing is the old board had WiFi where the Z97 doesn't. On the OS was it a OEM or Retail copy? Was it windows 7 or 10.

It doesn't matter what board you have. It is always a 50/50 chance something is going to go wrong. Been doing a long time and you always cross them fingers every time you push that power for the first.  ;D

Z87 specs: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87E-ITX/?cat=Specifications

Z97 specs: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5179#sp

I seriously think you have no clue what you are talking about!

You state:, "It doesn't matter what board you have."

Then you state, "It is always a 50/50 chance something is going to go wrong."

These two statements are the furthest from the truth that I have read in a long, long time!

First, it DOES matter what board we have.  In fact for the last two decades, when we must do new builds, we are incredibly careful in our selection of motherboards.  Yes, we carefully review the capabilities of the MB as well as the quality reports and reviews on every MB we purchase.

Second, it is NOT always a 50/50 chance of something going wrong.  We have overseen computers in entire school systems before, building and servicing large numbers of computers and it is extremely rare that something goes wrong with the motherboard...especially when using Gigabyte motherboards!

It has also been our experience that most components in our builds work well for years.  50/50 chance something will go wrong?

You obviously have no clue what you are talking about.

I highly recommend you think before blurting out such inaccurate and and obviously ignorant statements.

Your post was not only highly inaccurate, but also terribly misleading as well.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 04:10:24 am by AliceN1derland »