Official GIGABYTE Forum

Dropped desktop with GAH55M UD2H

Dropped desktop with GAH55M UD2H
« on: December 27, 2016, 04:12:22 pm »
Gigabyte GAH55M UD2H 8gb RAM Samsung SSD C drive. Win 8.1.

I just took delivery into the UK of my desktop computer which I'd sent over from Italy. It was as well packed as I could make it and the insides were stuffed with clothes to stop cards etc. rattling about. When I took the computer out of the box, it had clearly been dropped (although there was no obvious damage to the box) because there was a large dint in the base of the case and the hard drives were displaced.

Everything was working fine before it left Italy. All the drivers etc. are up to date.

I checked that everything was seated and started up. It got as far as the Windows logo then it went into Repair. But it wouldn't and eventually said that there had been a problem and that details were stored in an SrtTrail.txt file.
I removed all the cards (the MB has internal graphics), all bar one of the memory sticks (in the correct socket for just one stick) and all the MB switches except the Start button connection. I double checked that everything was seated.

Started again and same result - gets as far as the Windows logo then goes to Repair then eventually can't repair.
I have an HD with a clean install of Win 8.1 on it and that gives the same result.

I fortunately have an HD caddy so I put the SSD in that and checked the SrtTrail.txt. The only error that that shows is:
Test Performed:
---------------------------
Name: Windows boot log diagnosis
Result: Completed successfully. Error code =  0x0
Time taken = 0 ms

Root cause found:
---------------------------
Boot critical file C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\viamrx64.sys is corrupt.

It seems very strange that dropping an SSD would give such a very specific error.

I then checked the same file on the HD with just Win 8.1 and that file shows no errors!

Chkdsk shows no errors on the SSD or the HD.

Having spent two days on this trying everything I could find here and elsewhere, I'm really stumped.

I could understand it not working at all, but to get so far and no further suggests a software rather than hardware issue but I don't understand how.

Any/all suggestions of things to try would be very welcome!

Andrew
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 04:13:10 pm by Xanthus »

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: Dropped desktop with GAH55M UD2H
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 04:47:06 pm »
Also found your other post.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/dropped-computer-win-81-now-only-gets-as-far-as/f4d3c8f9-8add-4fbf-9aba-92aa5618f646.

If you cannot install a fresh copy of windows to another disk, something on the MB was likely damaged.  Reset/reconfigure BIOS, attempt fresh install to a known good disk... 

Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW