Official GIGABYTE Forum

New build - constant restarts - GA-H55M-S2H

welsh

New build - constant restarts - GA-H55M-S2H
« on: April 26, 2010, 01:57:26 pm »
Hello there, i have a new built and it keeps restarting i have tried XP and windows 7 32 and 64 versions. The restarts could be at any time but if the PC is on for longer than 30 mins its very rare.   I dont get any BSOD but when Windows 7 restarts i get a message saying the computer has crashed and look at the dump file.

I have a GA-H55M-S2H board, 400W Silent OCZ PSU, i3 530, 2x2gb OCZ 1333 DDR3, Antec black fusion case.

anyone have any ideas?  i ran memory test in DOS and it passed the test once and thenquit it, should i let that run for  a good few hours with only one stick in ?

thanks

Welsh 

welsh

Re: New build - constant restarts - GA-H55M-S2H
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 10:56:18 pm »
ok i hadnt unlicked  the restart automatically, oops.

i am getting a BSOD it relates to IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.  anyone got any info on this ?

Fatman

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 11:38:45 pm »
Have you checked to see that you memory is running the correct voltage and the timings are set for your ram in bios? What GPU are you running? Sounds like it could possibly be that your Power Supply may not be strong enough.....Any way you could test your setup with a stronger PSU just to rule that out?? Also when you put your rig together, did you set you bios yo load optimised default first then restart? Did you put in a brand new hdd for your new rig and did you format that drive before loading your os?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 11:41:47 pm by Fatman »

welsh

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 01:25:07 pm »
thanks for the reply, i have posted on the OCZ forum to check my Ram settings, i have upped the MB default voltage from 1.5 to 1.64 as suggested on another site.  memtest failes 149 times out of 156, i am running it again at 1.5v to see if that helps.  i suppose i have to figure out if its thr RAM before i try anything else.

the GPU is on the CPU using the H55 chipset and the i3.  400W should be plenty as there is no discrete GPU?

didnt set the bios to load optimum defaults, should i have done. oops

HDD is brand new but my Windows 7 is an upgrade version.  even though i have installed 3 times and reformatted and created new partition whihc effectivly is a fresh install.  i did a quick format

thanks for all your help

Fatman

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 01:36:21 pm »
Ok if your ram has failed memtest........then you have an issue right there! Just be sure you are using the right memtest for your setup ok....... What do you use your computer primarly for?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 01:38:42 pm by Fatman »

welsh

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 02:14:32 pm »
memtest version 4  i am using, sure its a 64 bit version if there is one.    PC is for home theatre use so doesnt need to be super quick just stable so slow memory timings arent an issue.  they posted some suggested timings, will check them and get get back to you.  thanks again

welsh

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 08:39:55 pm »
been told by OCZ to run RAM at 1.7v and the QPI/Vtt voltage at 1.35.

when i do this i get a bios message saying the PC has experienced boot failures because of OC ro changes of voltages. Last settings in bios may not coincide with current H/W states.

I now notice my RAM is not on the approved list on gigabytes website, only the LV low voltage stuff is (same name but LV in there).  are they not gonna work together?
any ideas ?

Fatman

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 12:23:20 am »
Well I have had a lot of problems in the past with OCZ ram (DDR2) I don't however have a 55 type board either....My only suggestion would be to bite the bullet on that OCZ ram and get some other brand stuff that will work with that board..........Ummm Just a thought, have you tried updating the bios???

welsh

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 09:58:08 am »
thanks Fatman, got the latest BIOS F6E but its Beta may go back to F5.

pretty pants forum here, apart from you!

Fatman

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 01:29:00 am »
Yeh LOL....You could try this forum, that might help you

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/

The guys there might be able to give you more help..............Good luck mate!