Official GIGABYTE Forum

Beep codes for GA-H170N-Wifi

Nihal

Beep codes for GA-H170N-Wifi
« on: January 15, 2017, 07:26:21 pm »
I'm trying to solve a serious stability issue related to my GPU (RX  460). I'm not sure yet if it's the MOBO, the BIOS, the RX or drivers fault.

I need the beep codes for the H170N. They're not listed in the manual, and the codes from the website don't match what I'm getting. My BIOS is an UEFI Dual BIOS, F4 version. I didn't dare to update to F20 yet since I have a Skylake.

Known codes it gives: 1 short beep for successful post, and a looping single long beep for no memory detected.

The code I'm trying to decipher is 5 short beeps. They're longer than the short one for post, and shorter than the no memory. These beeps happen only when I'm having GPU trouble, and the MOBO still gives the short successful post beep before them.

They happen when I reset the computer after crashing the RX. My RX will randomly crash between 5 min and 72 hours. When that happens the display connected to it will turn black and the system hangs. When I configure the BIOS to use the iGPU as well and connect a second display to the MOBO this one remains active when the RX crashes, showing that the Windows has frozen.

If I push the reset button the post beep + the 5 mentioned beeps happen. Nothing appears on the screen. That happens when I enable the RX only.

When I leave the iGPU enabled as well the system boots, I get to the Windows and everything, but the RX isn't detected (its display remains black). It's as if there was nothing in the PCIe slot. It does start its fans though. It only gets properly detected if I do a complete power cycle (shutdown and turn on back).

I suspect the 5 beeps are for "no video card". It can't be CPU failure (AMI BIOS, from the website) because they don't happen unless I crash the RX.

My system is brand new:

GA-H170N-Wifi
I5 6600
Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM
RX 460 4GB
SSD OCZ
CX 430
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 07:32:08 pm by Nihal »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Beep codes for GA-H170N-Wifi
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 03:02:36 pm »
Do you have the power plugged into the video card?
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Nihal

Re: Beep codes for GA-H170N-Wifi
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 03:37:45 pm »
Do you have the power plugged into the video card?

This card requires no external power. It has no connector, being powered by the PCIe slot alone.

I managed to play games and do some 3D rendering using 100% of the card without crashing once. I'm more likely to crash when I leave it idling. My temperatures are great, and it doesn't seem a power issue or the card would fail under full load.