Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-H55N-USB3 SATA driver update for 2TB+ HDs?

Kel

GA-H55N-USB3 SATA driver update for 2TB+ HDs?
« on: January 20, 2017, 05:51:12 am »
I own a GA-H55N-USB3 and had an old 2TB Western Digital HD as a data drive, paired with a 120GB SSD boot drive.  The 2TB drive failed, and I purchased a 6TB replacement.  I'm running Windows 7 and have Intel Series 5/3400 Series SATA ACHI drivers as version 9.5.0.1037.  According to Intel's website, I need SATA drivers of at least 10.1+ in order for Windows to recognize the 6TB drive.  Without that, Windows 7 only recognizes it as a 2TB drive.  I tried installing SATA drivers from Intel's website, carefully reading the ReadMe notes to determine the compatible drivers for my chipset (Series 5/3400) and only version 12 and 11 are there which support it (here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22194/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver?product=55005)  I also installed the Intel INF Installation tool on the Gigabyte website prior to installing the drivers, as according to the Intel website above, was necessary. 

Windows 7 fails to load when I  update the drivers.  It cannot even load in Safe Mode.  I have to restore my system using a Restore Point in order to get Windows running again.  Does the GA-H55N-USB3 support drivers that go beyond 9.5, so I can use my new HD?  Anyone have any ideas at all?  Thanks in advance.