Official GIGABYTE Forum

Who all is experiencing intermittent POST failures?

Who all is experiencing intermittent POST failures?
« on: January 31, 2017, 12:53:23 am »
Hey all,

I've posted on several forums about this issue, posting here to get a general census of how many of you are dealing with the same or a similar issue.

Video here shows what's going on:
https://youtu.be/g_rPC36bdDw

As you can see, no beeps or anything, PC simply restarts itself then passes POST and runs flawlessly for hours on end. This does not occur every time I start my PC.

I have tested the PSU, RAM, inspected CPU pins, and recently just enabled XMP in the BIOS as I was just using the optimized defaults. Problem hasn't happened since enabling XMP though I only did that two days ago, so I am waiting to see.

Are you experiencing similar issues? Did you fix it? What did you do? Open to hear all theories on this one, even though it does not hinder performance in any way, it is an annoyance and a worry as to what to expect down the road.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Who all is experiencing intermittent POST failures?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 11:58:40 am »
We might be able help better if you gave us some specs? I have this do this on many computers. If it was boot looping and didn't stop then I might worry about it. But just one boot loop again I wouldn't worry about it. Some times they just do it why can't tell you why. I had a Z170 board did that some times too.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 01:06:23 am »
We might be able help better if you gave us some specs? I have this do this on many computers. If it was boot looping and didn't stop then I might worry about it. But just one boot loop again I wouldn't worry about it. Some times they just do it why can't tell you why. I had a Z170 board did that some times too.

Apologies, typed this from my phone and forgot to add specs, this is also from my phone so bear with me haha.

GA Z170X UD3 Ultra BIOS version F4
i7 6700k stock clocks
G1 Gaming GTX 1070
16gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2133 RAM (2 8gb sticks)
Corsair HX750W PSU

As I said, tested RAM and PSU, both seem to be fine. I'd imagine if it were something such as a bad DIMM slot I would see a continuous boot loop or no boot at all. Just happens once then passes POST fine. I don't see it being a major issue, just hoping it's not an underlying problem that could potentially turn into a major issue. Was your Z170 board that did the same made by a different manufacturer?

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 03:08:25 pm »
My vote...  BIOS settings, RAM or PSU in that order.  But as dmdilks said, if its only occasional, I wouldn't worry about it.
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 11:18:20 am »
My vote...  BIOS settings, RAM or PSU in that order.  But as dmdilks said, if its only occasional, I wouldn't worry about it.

I was thinking the same, ruled out PSU. So definitely either a BIOS setting or RAM.

After enabling XMP I went about 10 days until it happened again. Oddly enough when it did happen, it was hours after a power outage (was at work), even more odd is that my PC is plugged into my UPS, and was off at the time (PC was off, UPS was on). It restarted during POST, then did it again, then said "Failed to Boot" (never said why), then it booted just fine.

Happened another time after that, I then enabled Fast Boot in the BIOS and will continue to keep an eye on it. Won't really worry about it, might try different RAM if the money is right. More so annoying than anything.

Also updated to F22 BIOS a few days ago.