Official GIGABYTE Forum

Delay at "Loading Operating System..." after forced shutdown

GuiSC

Delay at "Loading Operating System..." after forced shutdown
« on: December 20, 2017, 01:41:59 am »
I noticed after this episode sometimes have a considerable delay at "Loading Operating System ..." when everything occurred I received an error message in the bios "boot failure due to wrong overclock" something like

Re-flashed the bios and system up again, but this boot delay remains and my hdd seens also have some delay on windows. I already tried several configurations in the bios but there is no change, which I have not tried yet: test the hd's in other sata port.

Any suggestions for my case? thanks in advance

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: Delay at "Loading Operating System..." after forced shutdown
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 03:08:45 am »
What hardware is this?  Please provide your system specs, BIOS rev, etc?

Its hard to say from where we sit if your problem is hardware or software related?  Are you over clocking or using aggressive BIOS settings?  What prompted the need for a hard shut down?  Is this a new problem?  Or something that just started after a single hard shut down?

Start with the basics and perform a chkdsk /r.   Keep in mind you haven't shared anything with us except symptoms.
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

GuiSC

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 03:59:57 am »
system specs dxdiag, msinfo32 .zip attached on thread ( let me know if this is not visible )

forced shutdown due to corrupted windows media (installation stuck)
yes, system is overclocked and the problem only started after this shutdown

about bios version is latest stable for my motherboard : F9
bios config and my hardware the same that i have always used (without problems)

the hard drivers for windows are 2 ssds in raido 0, I already formatted the system a few times and also already re-created the raid

I checked for disk errors through windows interface and programs like hd tune, say my hard disk are ok no errors are healthy. but I've never used this command

I have no problems with my overclock, everything still works fine. I've never had a crash problem, a blue screen or anything like that
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 04:11:56 am by GuiSC »

shadowsports

• Gigabyte US
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 06:42:56 am »
You said you shut down due to corrupted windows media (installation stuck).  Does this mean you were reinstalling windows?  Was this a fresh install or upgrade?

And, did you use the F6 driver install for your RAID or let windows supply the driver?

When did you flash your BIOS to F9..  was it after the failure?
Did you load optimized defaults after the flash?

Have you tested your RAM?

What about the PSU?  What brand/model?

What happens if you load set up defaults? No OC, just stock speeds.  Realize you have to set the controller operate mode to RAID

This is a list of things you are going to want to look at...  Found them by searching your manual.  I suggest making one change at a time and testing the result.

HDD Detection Time Out

Hard Disk Boot Priority
-This should only contain CD/DVD and or BOOT Array, nothing else

First/Second/Third Boot Device
-Same as above, only whats needed

Delay for Hard Drive > 0

Quick Boot > Disabled

Init Display First > Set to x16

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode > Set to enabled
-Two if your disks are spinners, One is SATA 6, One SATA 3.  Make sure these are connected to the correct ports and not operating in Legacy Mode - Your tool shows the system operating in legacy mode.  Changing the EFI option might change this.   

Disable LAN Boot ROM or PXE boot is equipped

Random stuff:
You canot test disks in a RAID Configuration.  HD Tune (last I cecked) won't read SMART values or disk health when the drives are "conjoined" in RAID.  It only looks at the array itself.  This is not neccessarily bad, but it might not catch an issue if one drive was having a problem.  They have to be tested as individual disks to determine health status.

The P67 does not offer true native SATA support.  Its emulated.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 06:51:47 am by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11

GuiSC

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 08:36:47 am »
again saying, this delay "Loading Operating System ..." does not always occur which is strange, sometimes it takes 1-2 sec and sometimes it takes longer than 10 sec

psu corsair cx 600

I think she is strong, since I play and do heavy tasks without any problems. as benchmarks, stress tests is all going well

the drivers i already used the generics provided by windows update and lately Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) by setup, in both cases worked without problems

as i said tested different options in the bios, including all that you mentioned.
however always kept overclocking in my system cpu clock, voltages, etc.

already tested my memory modules, but not after that episode .. so i should do it again as well as test the cpu without overclocking

I do not know if this serves as a memory test but I use a lot 7zip consuming all ram and it is always successful

I should test the disks individually, and test them also on the 3gb sata ports. I would like to find out the specific cause although this is not always easy, so i should do more tests only in a next fresh windows install

remembering that i never had problems with this overclock for years, so in that case I just imagine can be a hardware fault like disk, memory, motherboard ..

I hope you understand since i do not speak this language
i appreciate your attention, suggestions, will reproduce them
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 08:52:24 am by GuiSC »

GuiSC

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 02:41:57 pm »
3 hours test with bootable passmark memtest86 overclocked system, passed no errors

I plan to now test the hd's, but my system is running on them. I was looking at the Hiren's Boot program or anything like that

I can test them individually in this way, should I change raid to ahci on bios correct? or really I have to disassemble everything to test, thanks

shadowsports

• Gigabyte US
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 05:01:03 pm »
Board is coming up on 7 yrs old.  You really want to invest more time chasing demons?  It's important to place value on your personal time.  Sometimes knowing when to walk away is the best move.  Your choice of course.