Official GIGABYTE Forum

core i7 860 not running at full speed

boing

core i7 860 not running at full speed
« on: April 28, 2010, 10:15:12 am »
Hi guys, i have a core i7 processor that seems to be running way under speed on a gigabyte boeard and i was hoping for some advice on how to fix it.

I'm running the following system

CPU..........Core i7 860 (2.8Ghz)
MB...........Gigabyte P55-UD4  bios F6
Ram..........6Gb DDR3
OS............Windows 7 64 bit

when i checked easy tune it says the clock is running at 2Ghz max (under load) dropping to 533 Mhz unloaded (should be 2.8Ghz). Now i know the processor has turbo mode and sleep modes but even under extreme multi threaded loading (3Ds Max rendering) with all cores at 100% it remains at 2Ghz.

I checked the bios (not an expert before you ask any tricky questions....) here's what i found

QPI frequency...............4798
Uncore frequency..........2399
Mem frequency.............1333

turbo ratio...................15
non turbo ratio.............15
turbo frequency...........1999
non turbo frequency......1999

CPU clock ratio............15x
CPU frequency.............2.0GHz

Turbo boost................auto

as i say i'm not an expert but  it seems that it is fundamentally set almost 1Ghz below where it should be. I was under the impression that modern boards set themselves, is there something i should have done when building it?

I was advised on another board from a gigabyte user to reset CMOS and set the multiplier to 22 but i'm still a bit concerned that in the above numbers the turbo mode settings doon't differ from the standard ones, i don't want to start messing with bios settings that i don't fully understand.

Is there a way to get this thing to auto configure or will i have to go through and do it all manually?

Also if i do have to do it manually is a multiplier of 22 the norm for this CPU and what do i need to set the turbo ratio to?

Any help is appreciated
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 10:21:08 am by boing »

Peteruk

Re: core i7 860 not running at full speed
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 04:21:32 pm »
Load the Optimized BIOS default > Enable (do not set to AUTO) "Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech” and “C3/C6/C7 State Support” save.

Downlaod Turbo Boost Monitor
http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031038.htm
Enjoy.

boing

Re: core i7 860 not running at full speed
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 09:22:50 am »
cheers peter that worked perfectly, many thanks.   :)