Official GIGABYTE Forum

bios updates

bios updates
« on: March 12, 2017, 05:17:58 pm »
i have tried to find out for myself, and it appears impossible for to to do so without help.

i visited here:

http://uk.gigabyte.com/Support/Motherboard

i chose:

'socket' 1155
 'chipset' intel h61
 ga-h61ma-d3v [rev 2.1]

then i am asked the 'model name' [with no drop down option].
i thought 'ga-h61ma-d3v [rev 2.1]' was the model name!
i was asked 'minimum three characters'.
what three characters does it need, i don't know.
i don't know what other specific information it requires :(

i just want to see a list, or find out if there is an update i can apply.

cheers!

baz
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 05:19:44 pm by peter tron »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: bios updates
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 05:43:15 pm »
Hi there,

try this link: http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H61MA-D3V-rev-21#support-dl and choose BIOS from the list.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 06:29:27 pm »
thanks absic,

i mentioned on another thread that i have two gtx 980's that take 2-3mins to boot, and hitting delete does not allow my access to the bios.
i just see a black screen.

i tried my old gtx 660 and the issue went away.
it both booted within 10-15secs AND allowed me access to the bios with no issues.

i do find it hard to believe that both the 980's are suffering the same problem with regards to bios access and slow booting.

i was told i should try to flash my gpu?

does this mobo support the gtx 980 at its current state?
is there any way to find out?

as far as i know this mobo has never been flashed, as i certainly have never done it.

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 08:27:17 pm »
the link you sent seems to be for an audio driver, not a bios flash?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 09:17:10 pm »
The link goes to the download page for your motherboard and you need to click on the BIOS link in the list, to get to the bios files.

The probable cause of the issues with the 980 GPU's is more likely to be due to the motherboard BIOS, rather than the BIOS on the GPU's. I would try flashing the motherboard BIOS, using the Qflash utility, rather than updating the graphic card(s) BIOS as this is the easier first step.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 10:33:28 pm »
it wasn't too clear.

upon further scrutiny, i realised that BIOS(+4) was actually a download link to the bios update page.

cheers for the direct link.
i'll try that 2moro.

br

baz

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 10:24:47 am »
the problem is that i cannot access the bios at all. this includes access to the q-flash utility.

i just tried.

how can i make the mobo recognise the gpu if i cannot gain access to the bios to flash it to potentially make the mobo recognise the gpu?

if i knew that the gpu would not allow me access to the bios, i would never have bought it.

it is possible that if i hit the 'end' key during the post screen, it might work.

it's just that i have tried all the post splashscreen buttons, and none of them allow me access to the bios.

i have extracted the contents of the file to my usb drive [three files in total] and i am ready to go.
the thing is, if i could not access the bios before, why would it allow me access now?

apologies for alll this over-cautiousness, it's just that bios flashing is known to be potentially "risky", so i just aim to make sure i am following your instructions to the letter, and that i am providing you with all the correct information regarding my mobo.

here is a screenshot of my mobo specs just so you can totally verify the earlier information i posted here in fact reflects this.
it is essentially five years out-of-date!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 10:27:23 am by peter tron »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 04:48:06 pm »
OK. Put your old (working GPU back into the machine and remove the new GPU.

This should enable you to get into BIOS so that you can use QFlash to update.

Flash BIOS.

Reboot and enter windows

Shutdown PC

Swap GPU's over.

Reboot.

If the motherboard still doesn't recognise the new GPU then you will need to contact Tech support to see if they can provide you with a BIOS that incorporates the 980 GPU for you.