« on: March 14, 2009, 12:41:13 pm »
This is a new rig just built yesterday.

Core i7 920
Akasa Nero CPU cooler
GA-EX58-UD4P (rev 1.0)
Sapphire Radeon HD 4870
Enermax Noisetaker 600W (used PSU)
Corsiar 6GB DDR3

The system booted up successfully ONCE but after a reset something went wrong. At power on everything lights up and all fans are spinning. I get a series of short fast beeps and nothing on screen. The system then restarts and repeats the same beeps. The manual seems to indicate that this series of beeps is a power error. I have checked both the CPU power connector and the ATX power connector. I tried 2 different graphics cards and got the same result. Haven't tried the RAM yet but all the inner parts are just new except for the PSU which should be adequate anyway. Any help would be great!

Re: GA-EX58-UD4P is beeping!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 01:31:30 pm »
Strangest thing. I just tried starting up 3 times with each of the 3 RAM modules on their own and it successfully booted with each one. Maybe it doesn't like all 3 modules at once?

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 01:44:22 pm »
It just booted up successfully again with all 3 modules. This could be an intermittent problem.....

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 05:47:45 pm »
Problem seems to be solved. I'm installing Vista and drivers now. I noticed that the 3 RAM modules each had a 7 figure number ending with 0,1 and 2 respectively. I tried inserting the modules in this order but I don't know if this is what made the difference. Maybe a bit of trapped static electricity? I made sure to flick the switch on the PSU on and off again when it was unplugged to remove any excess charge in the components. Anyway this is just my first experience with the EX58-UD4P. Hope it helps others :P

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 10:02:32 am »
Hello Gold Mine

usually static electricity just kills the components - sometimes immediately, sometimes it results after few weeks or even months from the event.  so i don't think it was the reason.

anyway check your system precisely by pushing it by some heavy benchmarks / games to make sure everything is correct now.
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

sedrik

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 11:39:37 am »
Gigabyte lists an impressive range of six models of LGA1366 Core i7 motherboards that use the Intel X58 chipset. Most of these models are priced in a narrow range from £189 to £235 with the EX58 Extreme off in the distance at £289. This puts the GA-EX58-UD4P square in the middle of the regular models in terms of price, yet the list of features looks very impressive.

The feature that shapes the layout of the UD4P is the three graphics slots that support both CrossFire and SLI. The primary graphics slot has a full 16 lanes of PCIe 2.0 and if you plug in a second graphics card it also gets 16 lanes. Add a third graphics card and the bandwidth to the second slot is divided such that the second and third slots each get eight lanes of PCI Express. This is the main difference between the UD4 and UD4P models as the UD4 has dual graphics and three PCI slots.

There are two more PCI Express slots located above the graphics slots that offer x1 and x4 support as well as two PCI slots that are positioned between the graphics slots and which are likely to be blocked by the graphics cards.

In addition there are six memory slots that support up to 24GB of triple channel DDR3-2100 memory, eight SATA ports (six on the ICH10R Southbridge and two on an add-in controller), one Firewire, and eight USB 2.0 ports on the I/O panel. Curiously enough there are no brackets in the package to take advantage of the USB and Firewire headers but most high-end cases include a selection of ports so that shouldn't be a problem.

The layout of the board is slightly unconventional as the floppy and IDE connectors are located at the foot of the board while the power and reset micro buttons are positioned outboard of the memory slots next to the main power connector. This is a neat arrangement if you plan on using a SATA DVD drive as the SATA connectors are laid down and feed the cables away from the board with the minimum of fuss.

The heat pipe system snakes across the motherboard and connects aluminium coolers on the Southbridge, Northbridge and six phases of the 12-phase power system. The other six phases have a separate cooler, as though another couple of inches of heatpipe would have broken the bank. Perhaps it all depends on the bank in question. Change up to the UD5 or Extreme models and you get a more substantial cooling system but we are confident you will be happy with the system that is employed on the UD4P. During our testing we didn't use any case fans and the temperature of the chipset cooler was stable at 45 degrees C.