Official GIGABYTE Forum

Unrequested BOOT and no keyboard

Unrequested BOOT and no keyboard
« on: April 05, 2017, 06:29:23 pm »
Bonjour,
  since a week I'm having strange issue with my rig.

I have a Z170X-Gaming7 montherboard with an i7-6700 CPU, 32G RAM rinning Windows 7 Pro.

The first and most annoying issue is that when I turn off the computer, the later reboot 2 minutes (or less) after it shuts down.  If the PC goes to sleep it requires intervention to reboot (mouve the mouse).  In the BIOS (F7), I have disabled everything that could effect wake on anything.  Basically, I can not determine what is causing the machine to simply decide to boot.  To stop it from rebooting I have to shutdown the power supply using the main switch (on the PS).

Second thing, which is a pain, is that my keyboard doesn't light at boot.  To have it light upon reboot I need to first clear the CMOS and reboot, then I have a keyboard until I get into windows and then reboot (no more keyboard).

I was having a lot of fun with this computer until a week ago, now, it is less and less funny.

Anyone faced the same issues or have some advice as to what to do or check to fix them?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I really, REALLY, dislike the darn verification of this forum!

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: Unrequested BOOT and no keyboard
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 07:50:33 am »
Greetings,
A few things you can look at. 

Take a look at the Power Management tab on your network adapter.  Ensure that the option to allow this device to wake the computer is not checked. 

Test disabling Fast Boot / Ultra Fast Boot in BIOS.  If you are using the Gigabyte App (in OS) for this feature. Uninstall it and make your selection in the BIOS only. 

Light up keyboard???  Do you mean numlock or do you have a something like a corsair raptor with lit keys?
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 01:47:31 pm »
Bonjour Shadowsports,
   A few things about the Wake on Lan.  First of all, my assumptions have always been that you could wake your computer from sleep, no straight from shutdown.  This is something I have been using for years now and actually, I'd like to keep using it.  Usually, my system was waiting for a magic paquet to wake up, now it seems to be waking up for no reason.  Still, I can't be 100% positive yet, but last night I have disconnected my ethernet cable before shuting down and the PC did not reboot so I might be on a lead here.  I will investigate further the option in the BIOS.

As for the keyboard, it is a logitech keyboard with LED on the keys that is why i reffered to "light at boot"  The fact is, I can't use the keyboard until the OS (Windows 10) starts to boot which mean, I can not hit DEL or ESC to enter the BIOS.  At the moment, to enter the BIOS, I am using the soft you advise I unintsall ;p)  There is an option in the Fast Boot application that let you reboot straight to the BIOS, I am using this function.  I have found that flashing the CMOS reset the keyboard at boot but as you surely figure it out, it's something you want to refrain doing.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 02:12:47 am »
Greetings,
You're right about the NIC only waking from sleep S1 or S3.  Sorry, I had been at work a little too long yesterday.   :-[

So, on your machine the fast boot option and the Next Boot After AC Power Loss is where I would concentrate.   

As I mentioned, these installed Apps can have a contradictory function in conjunction with the BIOS.  Changes made in either, or after the App or BIOS has been updated can create unexpected behavior. My recommendation is not to use the apps when possible and to make set and forget settings in the BIOS.  These are not the types of things you'll be changing on a whim.  While some of the features are handy and even fun to use, the majority are best controlled in the BIOS. 

Hope some of this helps.         
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 02:17:48 am by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW