Official GIGABYTE Forum

AMD Processor Update

AMD Processor Update
« on: April 19, 2017, 05:11:32 pm »
Okay so long story short I had an old AMD4130 processor and I broke the pins (Changing thermal paste and cpu came out with fan) I'm looking to upgrade to a AMD 8350

My motherboard is GA-78LMT-USB3, will this just be a question of I can plug the 8350 in and go straight away, or will I need to update my bios? I've had this setup for around 5/6 Years and I've never updated it before. Just want to check before I go and buy a newer cpu and end up wasting money

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: AMD Processor Update
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 06:26:39 pm »
Hi there,

yes, the AMD 8350 CPU, should work OK without having to update the BIOS, on all revision of this motherboard.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 06:37:35 pm »
Thanks for the reply, is it just a case of plug and go then?

I've only ever instaled cpu in a new build never replaced one for an upgrade

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 07:52:33 pm »
In this instance it should be pretty straight forward. Mount the new CPU and cooler and all going well the system should BOOT and go to POST.

When you get into the OS, if it is Windows, it will probably want to update drivers and reboot to correctly recognise the new hardware. You shouldn't have to reactivate Windows, but it may ask you to as there is some new hardware.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.