Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z77x-UD5H-WB WiFi, sometimes the USB wireless card is missing after system is up

Sometimes, after I boot up the system (Win10 Enterprise), the USB wireless card is not connected. It's a USB3.0 device and its model is ‘D-Link WDA-192 1900M 11AC’.

Then I need to plug it off and then plug it in, then it's connected. The other USB 3.0 or 2.0 devices work well, like the keyboard and the mouse.

Recently, I notice that when this happens and after I plug the wireless card back, it works, one weired thing happens, that the USB3.0 devices only work on USB2.0 mode. I found it by accident that I was copying one media file to the USB3.0 portable drive and the speed is only 33MB/s, while mostly it works at 110+ MB/s.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 11:32:31 am by justinwub »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
It is more likely a thing between windows 10 and the USB 3. Gigabyte or the USB 3 makers have not down any updates for that device. We have other people have the same problem with the USB 3 connection. The driver is more likely a windows 7 driver.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

It is more likely a thing between windows 10 and the USB 3. Gigabyte or the USB 3 makers have not down any updates for that device. We have other people have the same problem with the USB 3 connection. The driver is more likely a windows 7 driver.

Exactly, how to get it fixed? Any suggestions?

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
To add..  You can also try a different driver.  v1.03.B04 and later supports windows 10. 

http://support.dlink.com/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DWA-192

Also, these two BIOS settings can affect USB support at boot. Page 55/56 of your manual

HS Port #1 Switchable~HS Port #4 Switchable (Intel Z77 Chipset)

xHCI Streams (Intel Z77 Chipset)

While windows 10 is xHCI compliant natively, there is no telling how an older board will act in conjunction with various BIOS rev's  Not saying it will fix the problem but it certainly worth a look.  You may have to test various settings as well as different driver versions.  In the end, the only fix might be a different device which coincides with what dmdilks mentioned.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 03:22:11 pm by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

To add..  You can also try a different driver.  v1.03.B04 and later supports windows 10. 

Also, these two BIOS settings can affect USB support at boot. Page 55/56 of your manual

While windows 10 is xHCI compliant natively, there is no telling how an older board will act in conjunction with various BIOS rev's  Not saying it will fix the problem but it certainly worth a look.  You may have to test various settings as well as different driver versions.  In the end, the only fix might be a different device which coincides with what dmdilks mentioned.

I will try v1.05.B03 driver (I need to complain why dlink didn't release this version in China webpage ???).

Meantime, I will try to setup the BIOS tonight. By the way, I have updated BIOS to latest version.

Let's see how it works. Will keep you guys updated.

Thanks!

XHCI Pre-boot driver, HS Port Switchable and xHCI Streams are all enabled in the BIOS. So it should work as USB 3.0, right?

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US

XHCI Pre-boot driver, HS Port Switchable and xHCI Streams are all enabled in the BIOS. So it should work as USB 3.0, right?

Those two setting were actually created for windows 7.  It did not support xHCI in preboot environment natively.  These settings were primarily to ensure USB keyboard and mouse support preboot.  Windows 8 and > support xHCI preboot.  Its hard to say what these settings might do (maybe nothing) when using a OS that supports xHCI natively. 

So to answer your question, from a hardware perspective yes, but if the driver for the device is poorly written or implemented, it could revert to 2.0 speeds.  You'll just have to try.   
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 03:52:47 pm by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

Those two setting were actually created for windows 7.  It did not support xHCI in preboot environment natively.  These settings were primarily to ensure USB keyboard and mouse support preboot.  Windows 8 and > support xHCI preboot.  Its hard to say what these settings might do (maybe nothing) when using a OS that supports xHCI natively. 

So to answer your question, from a hardware perspective yes, but if the driver for the device is poorly written or implemented, it could revert to 2.0 speeds.  You'll just have to try.   

I checked the screenshot I took before upgrading the BIOS to latest version. The value I set for xHCI Streams was Auto and this time after BIOS upgrading, the value you see from the screenshot I attached is Smart Auto. Checked the manual and they work differently. Hope it can fix the USB3.0 issue.