Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE GPU failing? My screen turns off when loading into Windows.

Hello,

I've run into a problem the for the last two days, my computer's monitor will shut off as soon as Windows is loading to my desktop, and will not turn on. I've run many different tests and the only thing I have not changed out is my graphics card, a Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE. At first I restarted my computer over 10 times and was miraculously able to get to my desktop and not have any problems, then after that when I restarted my computer it never made it to my desktop again before the monitor would turn back off.

I've uninstalled the graphics drivers and installed old drivers which DID help one time, but then the problem persisted again. I swept my entire hard drive and installed Windows 10 all over again, but the problem is still there. I've switched monitors, from DVI to HDMI, but nothing will work. When I go into Device Manager and uninstall my graphics card under "Display", I can load in just fine, but the moment it auto reinstalls after I restart my computer, my monitor turns off again immediately.

When I boot into safe mode I can see my desktop just fine, because the computer isnt using the graphics card to load into the desktop, which has brought me to these forums to ask for assistance for if it is truly my GPU that is failing without any prior signs at all.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 05:26:01 pm by anonymoususar »

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Have you recently updated your BIOS?  This sounds like a software (OS), driver or compatibility issue (maybe a combination).  Hardware failure is certainly also possible.  I'd test the card in another machine.  It would also be wise to look at your PSU since one that is weak or dying could exhibit similar behavior. 

At this stage however, black screen when boot is handed off to the OS loader is often software related.  This is further substantiated by the card working in safe mode.  Have you tested with one or more earlier versions of forceware drivers?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 06:11:32 pm by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

Have you recently updated your BIOS?  This sounds like a software (OS), driver or compatibility issue (maybe a combination).  Hardware failure is certainly also possible.  I'd test the card in another machine.  It would also be wise to look at your PSU since one that is weak or dying could exhibit similar behavior. 

At this stage however, black screen when boot is handed off to the OS loader is often software related.  This is further substantiated by the card working in safe mode.  Have you tested with one or more earlier versions of forceware drivers?
i haven't updated my BIOS at all recently, and I've had this setup for months and there have been no signs of failure from anything. The monitor is on at startup for me to see the motherboard's splash screen and then the windows logo before it goes to the login screen, but at that point the monitor turns off when I have the GPU software installed. ive tried older firmwares for drivers (381.65 & 378.78) but it doesnt load up when its installed. I completely removed my 1070 from the computer via Device Manager and Im able to load to the desktop outside of safe mode as long as its not set to auto install the card again.

The next step for me is to try it in another PC, but now im concerned about my PSU, as it hasnt shown any signs of failure too, its a 750W Gold PSU, and my GPU hasnt bee OC'd in any capacity at all, so this happening is completely out of nowhere for me.

Update: I installed the 1070 into another PC and the same problem persisted, so its a hardware failure issue. My next step is to get an RMA request into Gigabyte's customer support as soon as possible. I already placed a ticket on their support website but have yet to hear back.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Good work  ;)  Disappointing, but I'm sure the replacement will resolve it. 
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

Update: I haven't received my RMA back yet, but according to the RMA website they tested it today, and found nothing wrong with the GPU on multiple configurations, yet when I used it on multiple PCs, multiple monitors, both DVI and HDMI, I wasn't able to use it at all. Very very confusing.

I'll have to call tomorrow and hope for a detailed explanation from customer service. :(

Update: I haven't received my RMA back yet, but according to the RMA website they tested it today, and found nothing wrong with the GPU on multiple configurations, yet when I used it on multiple PCs, multiple monitors, both DVI and HDMI, I wasn't able to use it at all. Very very confusing.

I'll have to call tomorrow and hope for a detailed explanation from customer service. :(

Go into Safe Mode with networking enabled, download DDU  (Display Driver Uninstaller) along with the most recent nvidia driver.  Disconnect the PC from the internet. Don't trust DDU to do it itself.  Be sure there's no sneaky wireless comms going on. After you've used DDU to remove all traces of nvidia drivers it will automatically reboot into Windows.  Install the nvidia driver and then enable your internet connection. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 01:34:13 pm by Fierce Guppy »
Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel i7-5960X, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 3GHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro, Corsair H110 CPU cooler, Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080Ti Xtreme 11G, 2 x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB,  Antec HCP-1300 Platinum PSU, Corsair K70 Lux RGB, Roccat Kone XTD, Asus PG278Q

Go into Safe Mode with networking enabled, download DDU  (Display Driver Uninstaller) along with the most recent nvidia driver.  Disconnect the PC from the internet. Don't trust DDU to do it itself.  Be sure there's no sneaky wireless comms going on. After you've used DDU to remove all traces of nvidia drivers it will automatically reboot into Windows.  Install the nvidia driver and then enable your internet connection.

I'll look into this when I get it back, but I've tried the GPU on multiple drivers (older and most recent) and multiple PCs. Outside of safemode when drivers arent installed I could view the desktop, but the moment they are installed the monitor would shut off every single time without fail, on both PCs I used it to test the card. What about wireless communications would have to do with that?

Edit: Called customer support, I was told they were able to install drivers and run benchmark tests and nothing wrong came up, so I'll have to wait for it to be shipped back to me then see if the problems still persist, and if so, what else could it possibly have been that would effect two different PCs if the GPU is the only thing changing.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 10:20:52 pm by anonymoususar »

Edit: Called customer support, I was told they were able to install drivers and run benchmark tests and nothing wrong came up, so I'll have to wait for it to be shipped back to me then see if the problems still persist, and if so, what else could it possibly have been that would effect two different PCs if the GPU is the only thing changing.

The only things I can think of is Windows preemptively installing a set of drivers that don't work well with the graphics card, or, if you're running the same anti-virus on both PCs, the anti-virus is perhaps blocking some driver component from installing or activating.  I just thought of the latter only just now... :(   I had a problem with Kaspersky blocking some Geforce Experience components.  It took me ages to find the culprit because simply pausing protection wasn't enough.  The anti-virus had to be uninstalled for things to work properly.
Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel i7-5960X, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 3GHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro, Corsair H110 CPU cooler, Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080Ti Xtreme 11G, 2 x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB,  Antec HCP-1300 Platinum PSU, Corsair K70 Lux RGB, Roccat Kone XTD, Asus PG278Q

Update:

Got it back from Gigabyte, and its working just fine now. I don't know what they did to it but now I can load to my desktop just fine with drivers installed. No idea what voodoo magic happened, but I won't complain.

Edit: Tried to upgrade to the latest drivers and it failed, so I'm just not going to even bother with it right now.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 10:58:23 pm by anonymoususar »

Update:

Got it back from Gigabyte, and its working just fine now. I don't know what they did to it but now I can load to my desktop just fine with drivers installed. No idea what voodoo magic happened, but I won't complain.

Edit: Tried to upgrade to the latest drivers and it failed, so I'm just not going to even bother with it right now.

12 days later, tried to reinstall drivers, and the issues have repeated themselves. I don't know what to do anymore, but the RMA did not help.